Wednesday, September 4, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! IWSG the 8th

IWSG
One down, one to go, child in college and another getting married in 10 days. So daddy dearest is slowly going nuts from the stress of seeing child now performing the ultimate adulting move.

Which brings us today, for your curiosity must be piqued enough to cure the tofu bacon, tofu sausage and tofu ham (daughter is a veggie). Today is the monthly blog post for the IWSG blog hop, where a plethora of writers suddenly tune into the same wavelength and get down and say how do you do (Mouth and MacNeal will knock your socks off) and blog about all kinds of writer stuff.

We are currently in a quandary with our writing. What quandary, you may ask?

Well, I have no real idea on what I want to work on next. I have three viable options, of which two are taking me to uncharted territory, while the 3rd is a continuation of a story that came from a really dark place in my head.

1} Work on book #2 of the "The Friendship Trilogy". I got this book back from my wonderful editor in mid June, and after reading the 20+ page overview and basically concurring what was written, and it needs a boatload of work (aka partial-to-complete rewrite of every chapter). This is 100% uncharted territory for me and is not something I'm looking forward to doing, but it must be done.

2} Work on book that I had edited in 2017, that was not really ready to be edited (expensive lesson learned), as it needs almost as much work as the previous book (aka partial-to-complete rewrite of the entire story). Whereas the previous editor mentioned did a phenomenal job of detailing what needs to be fixed, this one did not. So I have two pages of an overview that I have to properly interpret.

3} Work on a book that was lasted worked on in 2013. This is the book that came from a very dark place in my head, which was inspired by a particularly troubling scene from an Australian crime movie called Animal Kingdom. I managed to write about 4 complete chapters before I decided to put it away after coming to the conclusion that it was starting to severely creep me out every time I would work on it, which was a lot since the words started coming to me very easily.

So this is my dilemma for October and beyond. Not quite crippling procrastination, but it's pretty darn closer.

What kind of dilemmas are you facing with your writing these days?

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. If you like all three projects, schedule for all three. I often read more than one book at one time. Not at the same time, but...well you know.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like two of my projects, it's the 3rd that gives me the heebie-jeebies, if only because the words flowed so very easily while I was writing it.

      Not sure if I can multi-task like that anymore, but it is an interesting suggestion, though.

      Delete
  2. Three options are better than none. That last one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last is very intriguing. So much so that it scared the crap out of me while I was writing it. Exceptionally dark, like the book "American Psycho".

      Delete
  3. Sounds like we are in very similar places - my daughters are adulting and soaring, which is still stressful for some reason, and I have been at a crossroads with writing projects for a while. My solution was: to take a month and play with each of the projects for a week or two. Then, I made some decisions - which still essentially gave me a way to keep working on more than one project. I'm revising one (6th content revision - yikes!), writing a novella, compiling a short story anthology (slowly for the next three months) and poking at a non-fiction project slowly (next 12 months).
    I don't know if it would help you to do what I did - spend a week on each project and then decide at the end of that - or if it would just hinder you, but it's an idea.
    Whatever you decide, you can do it! Rock those projects! And love your awesome family! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very intriguing notion you've presented me with. Definitely something to look into. Hopefully at my age I can comfortably switch gears and smartly work on them.

      Thanks for the compliment. I think my saving grace is that there's about a 9 year age gap between them, which makes for a much smoother sailing.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have a lot going on, George! Congrats to the offspring getting married. ☺ That third project, Animal Kingdom; does it have anything to do with the American TV series of the same name, about a family of criminals run by a matriarch named "Smurf"? I'm hooked on that show! Every episode is riveting - and dark. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This upcoming week is gonna be all kinds of crazy.

      No, this is the original Australian crime movie that I got the idea from. I believe the t.v. series is based off the movie.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.