Monday, December 5, 2022

Episode #152: A Picture A Week Keeps The Blogging Blues Away

A brief writing update for all: I've just completed chapter 37 for my latest project. I'm looking at maybe three to four more chapters before I put the second part of this planned trilogy to rest. Current word count sits at a smidgen under 148k. I plan to take a break from writing it this coming January so I can concentrate on getting out a re-write to previously published book. Man, I am absolutely beat in writing this thing, but haven't had a story grab me like this in quite some time. Now, on to our free form post.

<ahem>

Our wonderful flag. Never has a symbol made out of cloth or some other fabric has caused so much consternation to those people with tiny toddler minds (my blog, my rules), as well as pride to those people sans tiny toddler minds. Personally, I'm in the camp of the latter and I do treat it with respect. The problem is that people with tiny toddler minds can't understand why people who aren't natives (legal or otherwise) would want to come to/reside in our country.

As some people from the toddler side of life often say with heaping gulps of smugness, the flag is a symbol of oppression and it needs to go away. Yet, it's also a symbol of hope to those who want it, who need it, who are desperate enough (legal or otherwise) to do whatever it takes to come here and experience all it has to give.

As for those from the toddler side of adult life, you can always move to those countries where your personal freedoms there are tampered down elsewhere, often based on the whims of the government. Think about it for a minute. Countries in all four major compass directions have curtailed the liberties you have here. Freedom of speech? Only if you're wealthy. The right to protest? Well, we saw the brutal result of that up north, while elsewhere it's severely curtailed, or downright illegal.

All symbols have faults to go along with their history. But keep this one thing in mind, that symbol that some of you love to hate, has allowed you the freedom, from cradle to grave, to spew whatever nonsense you believe in. Because, that is your right as a citizen/resident (legal or otherwise) of this country, and no one can ever take that away from you.

Thank you for spending your precious free time reading my post about the American flag. Have an enjoyable week.


{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Exactly! We have so many rights here. Go live in the Middle East, or China, or Russia and then you'll really understand a lack of rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Which is why I find it very refreshing what Musk is doing with Twitter and the histrionic overreaction by everyone on the other side.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.