Sunday, April 14, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 20th

Girl howdy and howdy to the boy who still doesn't get it, or anything else for that matter, and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller who, due to the fact that he's still recovering from the kind of cold that annoys you to the point of calling in sick but ultimately doesn't get to that point of calling in sick, is duller than the underside of a leaf in the sarcasm department.

Welcome to part the 2nd of "Backstory: The Birth Of The Trilogy", where we continue to explore in excruciating detail just exactly how my current project had come to fruition. Since we're still talking about the sleazy world of slushie stories, the pumpkin returns.

Today's Classic Quotated comes from the ye olden Tumblr
post of November 26, 2016, which coincidentally is what I'm cherry-picking  researching for today's post.

If you're within the 50 territories called The United (in name only) States of America.....

As I mentioned in last week's post, I was feeling pretty good about what I writing. Page after page of a decent primary storyline and not-so-decent secondary storyline {at this juncture, I was still trying to keep to the original primary narrative of the story} was pouring out my fevered imagination and I thought, "This one is gonna grip me like my first one, I just know it."

But as I got further into it, I found myself not quite concentrating on the task at hand. Whenever I would stop to deal with a sticky plot point {usually with the secondary plotline} I would experience wanderlust. Specifically, the wanderlust that crops up when you're writing a scene and you get to thinking, "do I need some backstory for this scene?"

The nano-second that I said yes, my world went completely Superman Bizarro.

I figuratively face-planted my current project with extreme prejudice and immediately went searching for the solution to my problem. Yes, I actually did have the solution to the problem, it was just matter of looking in the very last spot it would be in.

The first place that I decided to search was the 35+ floppy discs that I currently own. Yes, I said, "floppy discs". Please keep in mind that I'm almost 54 years old and I've been around since the dawn of the Internet, thus I still use seriously ancient technologies, like floppy discs. I also use current technologies like flash drives and cloud storage, so there.

Anywho, after searching the ancient technology and the CPU and coming up emptier than a good bottle of micro-brew, I moved on to the next area to search, ye olden book case.

By nature, when it comes to writing, I have serious OCD. I have printed every notable piece of writing that I've ever created and stuck those bad boys in a binder {a post for another day on the topic of Writer's OCD}, which currently totals almost 1 1/2 dozen notebooks of various shapes and sizes, include the slushie novel that scares me to work on {also another post for another time}.

After an hour's worth of searching every single notebook that contained partial novels, novellas and other assorted written gobbledy-gook, I finally found what I was looking for: that horrendous piece of idyllic trope that violated every common sense rule of grammar, paragraph construction, dialogue construction and sentence structure know to mankind {think "I Are Ready" and multiply that by a factor of 100}.

Tune in next week when we'll have an in-depth review of that slushie novel and how important it ultimately became to the creation of this trilogy.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.