Sunday, April 7, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 19th

Girl howdy and howdy to the boy who takes things so gosh darned slow that a 100 year old tortoise does the "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" schtick thrice in a single day before he could get his zipper halfway unzipped, and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, who is unashamed to admit that his early writing often resembled that there pumpkin.

In our previous post for IWSG April 2019 {smack dab in the middle of the controlled chaos that is the A-Z blog hop}, we touched upon how I went about writing my current series called "The Friendship Trilogy". I thought that starting with today's post, I would elaborate {in excruciatingly laughable detail} how this all came together.

Now since my memory sometimes has a nasty habit of playing tricks on me, I will be mining some ye olden Tumblr posts from late 2016/early 2017 to help me along. Now I'm pretty sure you're asking yourself, "G.B., you nuked to atomized smithereenies your entire Tumblr world. How is it that you have old posts to mine?"

The answer is quite simple my friends. Tumblr never had a system in place in which you could compose blog posts and save them as you went along, like Blogger and WordPress has. Instead, you had to compose it in one fell swoop, which was great if you had a short post, but horrendous if you have a long post to write and if you couple it with the occasional computer issue, then you can surely understand why in mid 2016, I started writing my posts in Word/WordPad/NotePad first before copy/pasting them over.

With that being said, let's begin at the ending.

Back in ye olden days of writing (2006 thru 2010), I churned out a mountain of excrementally runny  stories. Among those extremely great stories that came from my warped imagination was a novella that I ultimately self-pubbed in 2009 through the vanity press from hell (no I will not link to it) entitled "Betrayed!", and a prequel that really didn't have much of a title to it (a reoccurring theme to a good percentage of my stories).

I was really proud of this prequel (for a myriad of reasons that are not that germane to this post), so after writing the final one-and-done draft, we sort of printed it out, stashed it on the shelf and went on my merry way with the rest of my writing adventures.

For the next six years, I decide to get adulting with my writing and ultimately had some moderate success: one traditionally published novel, a few short stories and a trio of self-pubbed books. Around the spring of 2015, I was starting to sniff around for a new project to work on, and eventually, I settled on doing a rewrite of my vanity published novella, "Betrayed!" While it hovered in that C-/D+ level of goodness and ultimately became the basis of Books by George {now known as Books by G.B. Miller}, I knew that there was a Sahara desert size swath of room for improvement.

So off I went to churn out a new story using my preferred characters of choice (hybrid humans and full humans) as well as using the original story as a close basis for the new story. As I started humming along like a rebuilt engine, churning out page after page after page of a dual plotted story, I was starting to feel pretty good about myself.

But alas, as all of you who have dabbled in the creative art form, all you need is a very tiny seed from the land called "memory banks" to derail whatever progress you were making with your current project. And in my case, this was one of those rare adages that did stick a branch into my wheel spokes, which in caused an epic crash of ginormous proportions...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As always you can catch my act on Facebook and click on the covers for more information about writings.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Memory banks? I wish mine could remember anything to do with writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, mine simply wander around while I'm writing and will occasionally come knocking on my brain at the most inopportune moments.

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing your well written story

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.