I'm still doing the occasional hike in the mountain, as some of my leg strength is reappearing due to the p.t. I've been taking for the past month.
Read part one here, part two here, part three here.
And now for the 4th and final installment of my world building series
There were two more crucial elements that I needed to add to my world building: sentients and the alternative lifestyle.
In regards to the former, I will simply say that ever since I first saw the concept in Star Trek DS9, I became utterly fascinated and enthralled, and I was determined to integrate that concept into my stories, which I've done with some success over the years.
Now onto the topic of the latter: alternative lifestyles.
I made a conscious decision early on to portray those who are practicing members of the alternative lifestyle as realistically as possible. I also decided early on to have them face real world problems associated with that alternative lifestyle. I personally do not have an issue with those who are "L", "G" or "B", which is why I wrote a few of my characters as such.
Now I had those characters face real world scenarios/issues that one could realistically go through in their lifetime, with varying degrees of complexities.
Like staying in the closet with only a select group of others knowing who you really are, and having to wear a facade out in public.
Or perhaps, you're not quite sure if you are or aren't, but also you're not quite that ready to delve any deeper yet.
Perhaps you're 100% a member of that alternative lifestyle, yet you choose to perhaps experiment just once to see what it was like, aka 'scratching that itch," and to get it out of your system.
Or perhaps, you live in a society where it's quietly tolerated so long as you're discrete about it (a modified Don't Ask, Don't Tell).
And I did some research into how certain cultures/societies handled that particularly thorny issue. Did they have total acceptance? Did they have total rejection? Was it a mixture of both? I tried to sprinkle answers to those questions throughout the series, because I do believe that fictional stories should contain snapshots of what the real world often reflects and what the writer's personal views are.
At my age (61) and because of the era I had grown up in, I have a tendency to see things in B & W motif. That is to say, very cut and dried. But that isn't to say that how we go through life influences that B & W motif, because it does.
I sincerely hope you have enjoyed my mini-series on world building as much as I enjoyed writing it, and I certain enjoyed sharing a tiny sliver of what makes me tick as a writer.
Have an enjoyable week!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.