Memory Monday: Back when my life had structure, but no real meaning, we would take pics of random happenings at work. For example, this fine outstanding example of an unhealthy work lunch. Except the apple. Even now I still have a piece of fruit with my lunch.
Imagine if you will, it's 2008, and on the advice of your cyber friends, you decide to start a blog. And you call it Cedar's Mountain, based on the mountain you live across from. And you're happy as a pig slopping away in their sty, because you found a place where you can write to your heart's content.
You first start off with a punishing pace of two blog posts a day, every other day. Six months of burnout convinces you to drop your output to once a day every other day. You maintain that pace for a number of years and all is good.
Gradually though, the spark that kept you going starts to dim, so initially you change your posting output to revive that spark; then when that stopped working, you create another blog for your writing output. That seems to do the trick, and with that spark revived, you decide to create a picture blog, which was soon followed by an adult-oriented blog and a short story blog.
But like before, that spark starts to fade a little, so again you tweak the amount of weekly posting that you perform and life becomes good.
~~~~
Imagine if you will, it's 2026, and surprisingly to the people that know you, you're still blogging. Your output is down to one post per week, but you're still feeling good. Then one day, while you're posting a link to Meta, because Meta long ago dropped a feature that allowed you to submit your RSS feed and have it automatically update to your friend's news-feeds, a though suddenly appears in your frontal lobes. You peruse it and it asks a question: how many blog posts did you write?
Curiosity piqued, I meander through all seven blogs that I have created in the past 18 years {tabs above give a brief synopsis for four of them}:
Cedar's MountainBooks By G.B. MillerPictures For SmartiesFlashing Georgie's ShortsIt's Always Saturday In SuburbiaFather Nature's CornerI Have Stories!
And counted up all of the posts that I had written for all seven of those blogs. After seeing the finals total on my calculator, my jaw dropped, figuratively speaking.
2,017 blog posts in 18 years. Or, if you're a number obsessed weird stats nerd like I am, this averages out to 112.05 posts per year, or 252.125 posts per blog.
While both of these stats sound amazing on paper, you have to remember the slanted reality: I started with six to eight posts per week in 2008, and by 2026 I was down to one post per week. In a specific example, from December 2018 thru early August 2026, I produced a total of 358 posts just for the blog you're currently reading. And my book blog only has one actual post {but lots of tabs} after I had done a clean-up/overhaul of that blog's content.
Still, 2,017 posts is nothing to sneeze at. At the bare minimum, it shows how much I've pivoted over those 18 years when it came to finding topics to write about. From work to my writing, from music to books, humor to general observations, and everything else that you can reasonably think off, became fodder {in a good way} for six of my seven blogs.
In a weird parallel universe, my blogs became a text version about nothing. The only common thread throughout those eighteen years of merriment was me, myself, and I.
Truth be told, even though my blogging is a serious extension of me as a person and as a writer, and I do enjoy blogging as a creative outlet, I'm not quite sure how long I should continue doing this. Eighteen years is a long time, and in fact, those years spent blogging is almost half the time I've spent being married {currently sitting at 37 years, almost as long as most federal politicians have been in office}.
But, in the very old children's song goes, I will have to continue putting one foot in front of another, and see where this blogging journey of mine takes me.
Who knows, maybe someday it will earn me an all expense paid trip to Butte, Montana!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.