We all like flowers in the wild, as they be harbingers of a brighter today and a buoyant tomorrow.
Blogging note: This particular topic was one that I had previously touched upon in great detail back in 2024 (see tag "Hot Mess" for similar posts), but I thought I would revisit this from a different viewpoint.
I understood the concept of world building early on, mostly as a reader, so I had no problem in reading stories that had a meticulously created background for them. I also understood it as a writer too, although I didn't make too much of an attempt at creating brand new worlds beyond writing stories where certain concepts were already presented as a given.
In other words, whatever oddity I had introduced into a given story, say a character with a tail and some fur or one that collected souls, it was treated as an everyday normal occurrence. I think, at least to the best of my recollection, I did this because I wanted to treat anything out of the ordinary as a simple and ordinary occurrence.
For about a decade, I was quite happy to sprinkle a little of not normal people/concepts into normal situations, and treat those things as normal. A slice of insanity dropped into a very sane world, if you will.
Reality check: Fast forward to May/June 2022. I had made the conscious decision that I would tackle my next project by composing the entire thing by hand (hence the first month listed), then transcribe it to the computer (hence the second month). That next project was, by process of elimination, this fantasy series.
Now I knew early on that the dribs and drabs I was presently doing with my stories simply was not going to pass muster, with this series. Although at the time, turning this story into a series was the furthest thing from my mind.
To refresh everyone's memory: this story originally started as a mediocre novella that was ultimately shelved in the 2010s with about five chapters written (I think). When I had decided to make it one of my post-retirement projects, it became the first one to start off as 100% handwritten.
It quickly blew up, and from that novella sprang forth five full length novels that ultimately required a brand new world built from scratch in order to make it believable.
And here is where the fun and the stress of creating a whole new world(s) rears its beautiful (fun) and fugly (stress) head for the next three years.
to be continued

No comments:
Post a Comment
Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.