Monday, March 6, 2023

Episode #162: Writing To The Government Taxes Me

Fundraising this past winter at WestFarms Mall, one of the few remaining malls in Connecticut that has actually changed and pivoted quite well with the times in the past 4 1/2 decades.

Note: this 2nd consecutive post where snide/smarmy political jabs are foisted on to the reading public. I think this will become an ongoing thing.

As a writer, you never really want to have a lull in your writing day, simply because you can possibly find yourself thinking about what you need to do next. It's especially bad when you purposely create a lull in your writing day because of a real world issue that simply needs your attention.

In the U.S., the time period from Jan 1st through April 15th, extended three days, usually due to Patriots Day in Massachusetts for those who have to send their returns to Andover, MA but now extended due to a new holiday in DC, is tax season, where you have to pay money to a government that you probably dislike, depending on what side of the aisle you're on (go on, if you're a Democrat, I double dog dare you with a can of Iams Dog food, to say with a straight face that you love your President), for programs that don't benefit you because you're not special enough.

{Okay, rant over. I promise I will try to tone down my political snarkiness and place nice with the friendly men with their clean white coats}

Anywho, because it's TAX SEASON, I have three tax returns to do: mine, daughter's and BiL. Which means that my writing life is on hold. I did try to delay the inevitable after finishing book #2 of my trilogy by writing a 13 page synopsis of all 49 chapters as a much needed reference guide for when I start of book #3.

So the problem right now, besides doing 3 TAX RETURNS, is that I need to switch gears to a book that I rewrote, that I want to republish this year. But apparently my brain don't want to go there yet, It's still working on a power-point program for that last novel of the trilogy.

Pretty soon, I'll start smashing two bricks against my head to get my brain to toe the line about my writing, because it's TAX RETURN TIME, and I need to get MY TAX RETURNS COMPLETED.

So....yeah, I have a manually built in lull to my writing life, and it's driving me nutz. 'Cause you kw, pro as opposed to amateur, crastination can often be the ban of my existence. Which is whee we're cuaght in the  throes of. I really don't want to do my taxes or even my daughter's taxes, but it's something that i really need to do.

I would rather be working on republishing a previously book, A Taste Of Pain for those of you who are curious, than sitting in front of my computer figuring out my 1040, schedule C, schedule 1 & 3, contributions to an IRA, and deducting interest on a student loan. I might get a refund this year, but we won't know until we do our Fed.

And don't get me started on the fiasco known as the state of CT income tax return.

Sigh...I rather be writing, because one's writing is never written rotten, than doing my taxes. How do I know my writing isn't rotten? Apparently my reviews on my local Google maps have received over 200 views.

Go figure.

I leave you with The Beatles: "Taxman".

{c} 2023 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Taxes - ugh. Good luck! At least, the sooner you get them over with, the sooner you can get back to writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just finished my taxes late last night, and I'm not getting much back for a refund, which means I'm another step closer to hitting parity with my taxes, in that I'm almost having enough deducted to neither pay or get a refund.

      Still got my daughter's to do though.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully you are getting paid to do those extra sets of taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get paid for a happier stress free home life. There are still a few things that I want to slowly introduce to my now 22 year old daughter, and doing taxes is one of them. Although with her now back at college and such, I'll probably bite the bullet by paying $250 to have H&R Block do it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to play Taxman on the guitar, but I shouldn't waste time trying to remember now, cause I have to read all those tax instructions and get it done myself! Plus, what happens to retirement ss with working too taxes next year...? Still need to figure it out, and then what happens with MA HC premium help from Commonwealth Care after I sign up to not pay a penalty for the full price of a private plan. What a twisted set of instructions I read..
    Ev/ SnaggleTooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a former co-worker go through that kind of garbage every year. She works in Connecticut and lives in Massachusetts. Three times the taxes and three times the fun.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.