Monday, November 14, 2022

Episode #149: Granddad Is Chillin'

I be chillin' like Oreo the Chihuahua here, without a care in the world and sunshine on my tummy, giving me good old Vitamin D topside and grass stains bottom side.

Some times, ya know, it ain't easy being a blogger, especially when you've been doing it continuously for the better part of 14 1/2 years. Yup, 14 1/2 years, spread out over 9 different blogs (7 on Blogger platform and 2 that were nuked on Tumblr. Anyone here remember Tumblr?), producing around 1,600 posts, give or take.

I can tell you that about 5, including this one, were created because of the burnout factor I was periodically experiencing. I originally started with 2, then created two more for my pictures and my wildly inappropriate short stories. I then created a short story blog, then two more elsewhere, then finally two more, including this one here. So I was a busy little doggo, just yipping and yapping all over the place, much like Oreo and his mama, Tina.

Eventually though, I did manage to settle down and in the process develop a more chilled attitude about things in general. I decided to take an early retirement in 2020, decided to concentrate on my writing in 2021 and decided to crack down on being a more consistent blogger.

For the most part, that chilled attitude has served me well. I've managed to reconnect with a better attitude towards my children and my wife. I am now a grandfather, and overall, I'm just in a better place mentally. 

Which brings us to now.

If you think this is a "I've come to say that I must be going" post, well, you would be 100% incorrect. In fact, I are not going. This post is more of a self-reflection of where I've been and where I'm going in the future. I haven't really riffed on a blog post in quite a spell, and with my perpetual self-imposed deadline fast approaching, I need to come up with something that would satisfy my high personal standards when it comes to writing. Although I will admit that my high standards are definitely head and shoulders above what Oreo's high standards are, which according to that picture is a sunny day in a very green backyard.

I think going forward for this blog, my high standard should be whatever the perceived high standard would be for the pic that will accompany the blog post and just go from there. Because, if your high standard is the equivalent of a Chihuahua rolling around on a sunny day in a backyard, then you is just doing fine.

With that being said, here's to a very spiffy Monday through Friday to each and everyone of you, because gosh darn it, you deserve it, especially after the 2022 mid-terms.

{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Good you are not going. After thirteen years, I've slowed but not ready to hang it up. Once a month I can handle. However, I could also use a jolt of inspiration and some new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bumpy ride this year, but the sunken cost fallacy is still the myth I'm trying to extinguish. Just taking it week by week.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that retirement suits you so well, G.B. -- In my opinion, retirement is the best part of life! Ain't it grand! -- Also glad to hear you have renewed interest in blogging. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does at that. I've become a lot more relaxed and mellower in the two years since retirement.

      Delete
  3. I want to congratulate you on being such a consistent blogger! After all this time you still manage to get posting out consistently, that is an achievement, which I know after years of slacking off myself.

    Lately my list of what not to blog about managed to get way longer than what I am willing to ...
    I should write a post about it besides this comment... But darn I am getting post lazy after 7 odd blogs and 17 years of sporadic and obscurely detailed, anonymous posts.
    Ev/SnaggleTooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been going through the "sunken cost fallacy" syndrome as of late and I've been trying my best to rise above it, mostly by committing myself, come hell or high water, to post once a week. So far it's been working, but like you, I'm running into a dearth of topics to blog about. We'll see how riffing on an old photo goes.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.