Monday, October 10, 2022

Episode #144: Granddad Is Enjoying Life

This fascinating picture was taken by me from my car while I was driving home from grocery shopping. I happened to see the mountain's resident deer foraging in the front yard of our local group residential home yesterday. So I carefully came to a stop and gently reversed under engine power, then whipped out the smart phone and took several zoomed in pictures from my car. Then, with great reluctance, I carefully put the car in 'drive' and drove the twenty or so yards home.

So this is basically the highlight of a very young week so far. Last week was pretty good, as we managed to take a few short afternoon trips into the mountain, and boy was it worth it.

Right now, the mountain hasn't really start to turn to fall yet, so everything is cheerfully lean, mean and green, although, the birds have begun to get the message about the weather, as it's been abnormally quiet in those trees. But, it's still good just the same, as I actually love the peace and quiet while walking and hiking. Fortunately for me, the northern end of town where I live is basically dead between the hours of 9a and 4p daily. My end of town is simply a drive-thru to the more populous southern end of town.

So the quiet time has been doing me a world of good, especially with my writing. My current story with the placeholder title of Hot Mess is sitting at 107k+ words, with one three ring binder completely filled and a second one a fifth of the way there. Scary part is that if I get this one filled up, that'll put me over 400 pages written and that will simply blow my tiny little brain. Why? Because I didn't actively plan to write a multi-volume series, unlike the last time (yes, I have a trilogy that is one third published and two thirds completed) when I did actually plan to write a multi-volume series. So there's that.

Overall though, I've been simply enjoying my retirement, going on two years now. I have the almost empty nest, a grandson and my mental well-being has been soooo good that I kick myself for not doing my retirement earlier. But, rules are rules and I didn't have the numbers until I had turned 55 in 2020, with more than 20 years in.

All in all, this post is the best I could do for a Monday, because you know, we're simply enjoying life too much to worry about a blogging deadline. But I promise, with the weather starting to change, I will start hitting my deadline earlier. 

{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. Great shot of the deer.
    A series - mind blown indeed. I ended up with a series I never intended either.
    Enjoy the peace of your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Believe me, it wasn't intentional. The original story had a good premise, but when it was written some 11+ years ago, it definitely was the skimpiest thing imaginable. I simply took what I've learned and read over the years and applied it to this story.

      And thanks, I will definitely enjoy the peace of my retirement.

      Delete
    2. George, I enjoyed reading your musings and especially the fact that you are now able to enjoy PEACE what a gift. Congratulations on the grandbaby..they truly are the most special gift.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. They are indeed. I might just spoil him rotten. :D

      Delete
  2. That deer was close enough to pet!
    So the mountain hasn't transformed to color yet.
    I think here most is turning brown and dropping early so far. Usually the small trees are the most colorful, looks very muted here.
    My MTN photos are super from northern leaf peeping. Have to go through them all and maybe sell some, the pics came out so well on the real cam! If only I can figure out who will pay me for those...
    Wish I could print up my own postcards and posters now...

    Can't believe you are keeping up your blogging schedule! I am decidedly sporadic between the 3 blogs I started up again...
    Amazing I even feel like it.
    SnaggleTooth/ Ev Johns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They most definitely were.
      The mountain wasn't at the time I wrote the post, but it is starting to now. I'm figuring that in a few more days it will be wonderful palette of color.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, retirement is great, isn't it! Nobody's agenda but our own. How sweet it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. My agenda is just so gosh darn simple these days, and I'm loving every minute of it.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.