Monday, October 3, 2022

Episode #143: Granddad Is Iffy About Cadillac Products

There are times where I want this dog's life. This, is one of those times.

Yes, the title of the blog post accurately reflects a proper change in parental status. Young Master Colton made his entrance into the world back in mid-September 2022.

As I'm want to do from time to time while perusing social media, my mind has a tendency to wander. Occasionally it'll latch onto a certain idea, which in turn makes me pause and squee in delight because it means I have something to blog about.

Today's idea is what I like to call, "Cadillac products". No, I'm not talking about the car, but instead I'm talking about the various products that set the gold standard for their line and make everyone else in that product line pale by comparison. Let me share with you a few examples and you can let me know if you agree or disagree with my examples.

Cable t.v., specifically, HBO. Now, most of you know that I'm the original MTV generation, that channel started when I was a junior in high school {1981}, but you can call me an HBO Boomer as well, as the channel was founded in 1972. Now, I consider HBO to be the gold standard for pay t.v. channels, simply because of the high cost of adding/maintaining it to your cable subscription

Note, the quality of the content HBO presented coupled with being the originator of the premium cable channel, made it on one hand, the channel to have when you were getting your cable t.v. subscription set up (this was waaaaay before streaming, etc.), while on the other, it often became the first casualty of your subscription when you were looking for cut costs to your subscription, simply because on how expensive it was (in the late 80s/early 90s, it was about $20 per month with about 2% increases every couple of years with our subscription). Ultimately, it became the channel that everyone wanted to aspire to be like.

Commercial coffee stores. Now granted, my opinion is regional, but I find that both Starbucks and D&D have set the gold standard for commercial coffee product. I give them a tie only because each one has a particular customer base that is often hard to float between. A close third would be those solid mom & pop stores that sadly I don't have in my local town.

Coffee brands: again, this one is personal preference, but this is based on instant coffee, as I do not do K-cups. I think I've consumed only 48 K-cups during the entire existence of the K-cup, and those were in the 4 months preceding and 3 months during the pandemic when I was still employed. I've tried about a half dozen brands, so I have a strange three way tie for the top: Nescafe, a niche brand called Juan Valdez and single serve Tasters Choice. Everything else for instant pales by comparison. Those three mentioned are actually worth the high price you pay for them.

And finally, just to throw everyone a slurve, computer OS. Again, this is a personal preference. I have never used a Mac, nor any Apple product for that matter, in my entire adult existence. I neither like nor hate Apple computer products, they're just not my thang. But, having used Windows 6.0; XP, 7 and 10 (all four work related, with the middle two personal), and ultimately detesting all Window OS, my personal preference has been, since 2019, Chrome OS. I found that OS very easy to use, and their various office suite programs equal to, if not slightly better, than the Windows office suite programs. And most importantly, quite convertible going both directions. Overall, I find Chrome way less aggravating than Windows to use.

So, my fellow readers, what products do you feel are the gold standard for that particular product line?


{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. Can't comment on the coffee as I don't drink it. But setting the standard? JIF. No other peanut butter comes close. When they did the recall earlier this year, I was in dire straits for peanut butter for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to agree with you about Jif. I have managed to find a few other options, like their natural version (less than two grams of sugar). The only other commercial peanut butter that comes close to multiple options for me is Skippy.

      Delete
    2. Never have bought coffee at anywhere, I know how to make it at home . My kids got one of the k-cup things… but now we(Bruce too) got the ones we we refill daily.

      Delete
    3. I don't do K-cups as a rule. We do have a machine, but that's mostly for everyone else to use as I'm simply not a fan. The bulk of my K-cup usage was at work, where we had a machine that was a tad more reliable than the microwave, and that was to brew strange types of flavors, like Jim Beam.

      Delete
  2. Aldi brands! Tripple gold star! Never have been Disappointed with what I’ve purchased there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love shopping at Aldi's, but stopped when they rolled out their version of socialized distancing in 2020. I had no problem with it (or masking if the state/store required it), but I did not want to be forced to take a shopping cart in if I was only buying a gallon of milk.

      Locally, I found a chain that I feel is superior to Aldi's called Price Rite.

      Delete
  3. Being a GrandParent can be considered the Gold standard of parenthood, I think.
    OS, not so sure. Chrome was ok, but people with Mac or Apple like my cuz the Prof at USC swear by it. I had a Mac way back in the 90's and used them for college work. They had the best 2D, 3D art programs for video Animation.
    Windows for awhile here, not as much fun as memory always gets in the way after a few months. Don't think there is a better, all have similar issues, and now similar programs to work with. I still hate the idea of paying to store files on the cloud. I want non-connection dependent files to work with.
    No answer for that one!
    SnaggleTooth/Ev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a rule, I don't use Apple products, but my daughter does extensively, so she swears by them. But I do agree with Apple having the best graphic programs, etc., as they seem to be the OS of choice for musicians to use.

      Chrome became my default due to not wanting to use the others. On the upside (or downside depending on you want to look at it), everything is now tied in to phone and Google accounts, so it makes it easier to keep track of.

      To the best of my knowledge, Google doesn't charge for storage unless you want to go over the 15GB they automatically give you to use.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.