Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Episode #102: Gluttony Is A Writer's Sin Of Major Proportions

Greetings and Salutations to one and all!

The picture of a star is in direct response to hearing Christmas music while grocery shopping this past Sunday {11/7}, as I needed something decidedly non-Christmas, IMO, to counteract this serious breach of holiday protocol.

Anyways, on to the topic of the day: gluttony.

The traditional sense of the word means, in very crass terms, porking out at the proverbial dinner table {something that I often did in my younger days, to my now adult dismay}. In the non-traditional sense of the word, it means consistently starting new projects while you have others in various stages of completion patiently waiting to cross that finish line.

I already have two manuscripts completed that have gone through two rounds of editing each and are waiting for me to make my next move. The next move for them probably won't happen until the Spring 2022. The next move for me was to find something to occupy my time again.

Don't know about you, but lately I've been feeling kind of rudderless when I'm in between projects, especially being retired and all that stuff. So I decided to revert back to when I had lots of energy and gumption for my writing. Back then, I used to do all kinds of writing because I had so much creative energy to burn.

But, like with all issues since early July '21, is trying to find projects to work on. Everything is all scattered helter skelter in our seriously deconstructed basement. I lucked out on the first project because everything got waterlogged and had to move everything to the dining room. I lucked out on the 2nd because the basement wasn't completely deconstructed yet.

The 3rd required some searching since everything was deconstructed, and after finding a couple of possibles, I was able to find a challenging suitable: 50% already re-written and 50% needing to be re-written, and all of it mind-numbingly cringey. Every. Single. Page.

And of course, it has no title and the bare military grade minimum for a dual plotline. So yeah, lots of fun with this one. And just to give you an idea on how long this was last touched, apparently the red ink I used for making editing notes back then has now turned to a light umber.

McYummy!

So yeah, fun times ahead, especially trying to figure out how to get plot #1 (which I think I still remember) to plot #2, which is a funeral. Not sure why I though writing about a funeral would be a solid plot line to work with, but this should be interesting read/work on.

So gluttony can be a good thing as a writer, especially if you have an unlimited amount of creative energy to burn off. Prepping can be good, but over prepping can eventually drive you sane.

{c} 2021 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Sounds more like a glutton for punishment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is.

      Already having some serious face-palming moments while reading this.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.