Sunday, August 22, 2021

Episode #95: Not Quite Classical, But Medieval Instead

To thine own wind chimes be true, for the forest's beauty is complimented by music emanating from the gentle windiness of itself.

Welcome to the literary world of G.B. Miller, where the past is making progress and the present is never quite standing still.

I'm still making steady progress with my writing, as I've settled in quite nicely to my groove of late night writing. I've also managed to expand it expand it to writing whenever I won't have any eavesdropping {which in this case is looking over my shoulder from the kitchen into the dining room}, which usually means that the family is either out and about or vegging out watching television.

The rabbit hole that is YouTube can be very strange when it comes to certain things, like music. I found about 11 hours worth of classical music to listen to, mostly from the composers from the 18th thru the 19th century. From there I'd eventually branched off to New Age instrumentals {I strongly do not recommend this if you have a tendency to meditate listening to soft instrumentals}, as well as baroque music featuring classical guitar.

I finally got a little burned out on classical music, so off I went in search other types of non-normal {e.g. genre music that you enjoy listening to} music. Roughly seven minutes of side searching the suggestions brought me to four videos featuring medieval music like this. Thus, this is the type of music that I'm currently writing, including blogging, to presently.

Granted, it's very strange music to listen to, especially since vocals are involved, but it seems to do the job as the vocals are just as minimally intrusive as the music itself, which in turns makes it easier to concentrate to write. In fact, I've find that when I tune out the music for a short period of time while I'm concentrating on a particularly difficult scene, it's easy peasy to tune back into it w/o worrying about getting lost.

But. not to worry, for after the four video set, which totals about 3 3/4 hours or so, I found two other videos featuring mandolin and lute. Yeah, that should be fun.

Basically, the one thing that I've found incredibly refreshing for myself is that I'm way more open-minded to explore other genres that people would've listened to way back in the previous centuries. And this, can only be a good thing for future use. Expanding the personal horizons will always make a person genuinely more affable as well as laid back.

And isn't being mellower and laid back the primary goal for everyone as they get older?


{c} 2021 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've found older forms of music -- there's a lot worth listening to! I'm a fan of all those types of music too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to writing, I really can't concentrate with music featuring vocals. I have a tendency to tune out when I'm listening to music and doing something that requires concentration. So tuning out while listening to instrumentals (of all kinds mind you), doesn't bother me as much as tuning out vocals.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.