Sunday, August 8, 2021

Episode #94: Classically Gassed In The New Millennium

"When it's summertime in the corn belt, the birds can be heard hiccuping on a starry, starry night....."

Picture to the right was taken some time on the second to last vacation that I had taken in the 2010's.

Anyways, to continue on a theme, apparently writing with classical music is my new semi-permanent thing. So is writing at night time a new semi-permanent thing.

As most of you are aware, I've pounded the message over the past decade or so that in order to write, I have to do it in complete and utter silence. No background noise, no front ground noise, no sideways noise. Nada. Nil. Zip. Zilcho.

But to circumstances beyond my control, I am now forced to listen to classical. Actually tried New Age music for about an hour, but that was about fifty-five minutes too much for my tiny brain to handle, so away it went from YouTube.

On the upside, listening to non-harsh (aka no brass, no timpani, no percussion of any kind, only woods and strings) classical music has allowed me to get actually harsh and nasty with my re-write. I've long ago figured out that the first two thirds of the book I'm re-writing should match up with the last one-third of the book (last third is actually quite violent and nasty).

So writing with classical music as my white noise has allowed me to tap into my inner bully. unfettered and unapologetic, to the best of my ability. It's also allowed me to revisit, without guilt, earlier themes that have fallen by the wayside in the past decade or so, mostly due to personal reasons.

In another piece of semi-interesting news, after a who bunch of personal reflection (like about a year's worth or so) as well as discussion with the family, I've now got my two shots scheduled for the month of August. And before you accuse me of being an anti-vaxxer and all of that crappola, I do believe in the vaccine science (mostly), but as my daughter has always said, "your body, your choice", so for the longest time that has been my mantra. But, even though that's still my mantra, circumstances have changed, and I've made the decision to get the shot.

I also believe in herd immunity, so that has helped me a lot, as well as being in about 95% personal quarantine too. I'll still be pursuing that personal quarantine, since I really have no need for contact with the human race 95% of the time, so after the shot, it'll be business as usual.


{c} 2021 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Wish I could limit my contact.
    Glad the classical music is doing the trick. Who knew it brought out inner nastiness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My contact limiting actually started about a month after this pandemic took hold, and now it's basically part of my daily routine.

      I think it's the quiet/mellow types that I choose to listen to that helps. It's just there in the backgrouund and at just the right level to where I can easily tune in/tune out without worrying about getting lost while writing.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got your two shots. It's a wise thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a matter of time, I guess. It wasn't so much as not trusting the vaccine (much) it was just I really needed to think long and hard about it.

      I'm very much in the realm of both freedom of choice and supporting the decisions of a company how to run their business, both publicly and privately, whether I agree or disagree.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.