Sunday, February 14, 2021

Episode #74: We Blipped

Sometimes we experience the occasional blip in our month, where we get to thinking about where we were, where we're going and where we're presently.

This has been the case this particular month.

My particular blip happened this past week, when the aforementioned issues intersected at the exact same time.

It's now mid-February, and everything intersected at the same time. To whit:

1} This week, I went to a few doctor appointments. This brought home the fact that in about three weeks the state medical board will be meeting to determine whether or not I qualify for a disability retirement (thus a higher monthly pension) or not. Either way, the immediate headache will be that I'll be forcibly changed to another health insurance place. The state of CT has a completely differently health insurance plan when you become a retiree, so this will cause all kinds of chaos not only for myself but for my wife and daughter as well.

2} In conjunction with the first point, my income will drop by roughly 75% or so. So once the dust settles, I'm going to be looking for something part time about 15-20 hours a week or so. I was actually planning to do this originally back in 2020, but had a change of plans where I could file for disability and still get paid until it gets approved (going on 4+ months now). I do have things in place for when April rolls around, so I'm not too terribly worried about things as they presently stand.

3} Daughter is slowly getting back to her old self, after taking a minor detour for all of 2020. She has a brand new road map for herself and I couldn't be more happier for her or prouder of her.

4} The recent passing of a few extended family members and former middle school/high school classmate has now introduced a sobering new reality/mortality. It's a bit troubling when people who are either roughly your age (55) or ten years plus or minus to your age have passed away. Certainly hammers home the fact that tolerating human toxicity sucks major moose testicles, and should be excised with extreme prejudice.

And finally,

5} Sometimes the best laid plans, no matter how bulletproof they may be, can be thrown into a state of flux, just by the simple act of the real world poking its craggy little head into your business when you least want it to.

So remember, act accordingly during your day-to-day existence, because having people talking about you in the present tense is surely much better than being talked about in the past tense.

{c} 2021 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Drop by seventy-five percent? That is huge.
    Yes, something about the fifties makes you really see how short life is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm currently being paid my normal salary while I wait. Once it's approved, it will be come a monthly pension based on my 3 highest years minus things like health insurance. My clerical position wasn't conducive to high wages and opportunities for overtone, so there you go.

      That is for sure.

      Delete
  2. My husband is in a similar position, income-wise, which is the reason he's still working at age 70. I hope all goes well with your disability pension, GB. It's true, the older we get, the more we become aware of our mortality. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. i think I timed everything just right. I have one loan that is finishing out in about a year, while the student loan I got for youngest I should be able to get money from youngest once things settled down for her.

      I don't have a lot in the way of bills, so once the dust settles, I should be able to figure out what I want to do the foreseeable future, income-wise.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.