Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Episode 16-Where's 15?

IWSG
Greetings and Salutations from New England and welcome to the monthly blog post of the IWSG, where writers from around the world  get together to talk smack about their writing, both good and bad.

A small explanation about the post title. Apparently while I was getting ready to write this nifty little post, I discovered that I wrote two, count 'em, two episode #14's. So yeah, a full pinochle deck I was playing with not.

So instead of using the optional question of how do I get into the zone for writing (haven't done much in the way of writing, but when I did, it was basically, peace; quite; editing note, then write),  I decided instead to talk about a shrot story that I started writing {Yay!}.

Lately whenever I decide to write a short story, I make a really hard-water left turn towards the macabre. I'm not sure why, since I don't really read that much in that genre (and other horror genres), but it seems a little easier to just go off in that direction with no rhyme or reason to speak of.

This particular short story, working title "What A Day..." was directly inspired by the fact that I have been teleworking/telecommuting from home since mid March and much like everyone else who is doing it, I'm beyond over in doing it.

The opening paragraph starts out normal enough:

I open the door to the basement, sigh disgustedly, before tromping down the stairs towards my office. I wasn’t too thrilled about it, since this was now day 31 of my enforced telecommuting and the redundancy of it all left me with a sour cotton mouth and twisted sense of indignation.

But quickly dovetails to internal organs, disembodied voices, psycho animals and other assorted ghoulies. Just like my latest project sitting on the back burner, I found it wickedly easy to explore the dark recesses of my mind. And I also find it wickedly easy to write it like this is simply a normal day-to-day occurrence: no outrage, no OMG, no "run to the hills". Instead, it's more like a, "honey, can you make sure to pick up a gallon of milk while you're out and about?" mentality.

Weirdly macabre is the new normal it seems, at least for me. What's the new normal for you?

{c} 2020 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. I can see how our current situation would influence that. Run with it - it might be your release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is. I have a bunch of micro fiction that I wrote on my other blogs which always swung in this particular vein (I did one for Halloween that got somewhat bent this way), and this one is turning out like them. I don't think I can sustain an entire novella or novel like this, but a short story I most definitely can.

      Delete
  2. When you said "Macabre is the new normal" it got me thinking. I've always had trouble with it. I get really uncomfortable with some images and thoughts, but recently (past 5 years or so) I've developed more of a curiosity for it. I just observe and for whatever reason, drop the reaction. Curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the more slightly weird fiction that I wrote for my various blogs always got bent in that particular direction. Never on my longer stuff though. I'm pretty certain that I can maintain this bend only in the short story format.

      I can sympathize with being uncomfortable with certain imagery as well, which is why one my current novels is being worked on sporadically.

      Delete
  3. You are getting on par for comfort horror writing as is Stephen King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. However I wouldn't call it "Horror" in the traditional sense of the word, but more like "macabre normalcy".

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.