Sunday, April 19, 2020

Episode 51: A Day In The Life

Boy howdy and howdy to one and all, and welcome to my little corner of the world, where Spring is just around the corner {just like that pic to the left} and the new norm cannot be sustainable.

A rare Sunday post for me, as this CODVID-19 quarantine has finally gotten me to make an attempt of doing some kind of writing {while listening to music!}. Since I'm about a month into this thing called teleworking, I thought I might give you a look at what a typical work day in the life of G.B. Miller {which is a smidgen like the song}.

Firstly, I changed my work hours back to a normal 8a to 4:30p schedule. I figure since I was now home, there is no reason to go in late and stay late. Secondly, I strove to maintain a small semblance of routine while working at home.

So my typical work day goes something like this.

After doing my morning schtuff, I get dressed in my usual wardrobe of jeans and t-shirt, with at least one or two days being dressed in my normal work clothes of business casual shirt and jeans. I turn on my computer promptly at 8a, and send off my mandatory attendance e-mail to the usual supervisors, letting them know where I'm at {home or in the office, which I go to up to three days a week for anywhere from 1/2 to 2 hours at a clip}, then I'm off to my usual two hours of work.

Those two hours consist of answering e-mail and other assorted odds and ends, depending if it's a payroll week or a non-payroll week. I selectively use my printer for printing, since basically, it's my toner and there's only a 15% change of getting reimbursed should I have another cartridge {Epson ain't cheap}. At 10ish, I go on break and shut down my computer. By 10:30a, I'm back online.

Until lunch, it's usually more of the same, then lunch kicks in. During my lunch time, I'll take a .7 to .75 mile walk. This is something that I would do at the office in the parking lot and my route was usually about that length of distance. One of the first things that I did when I's first started teleworking was to map out a similar route to walk.

The afternoon was/is pretty much the same as the morning, then promptly at 4:30p, we send out an e-mail to my supervisors letting them know I was checking out for the night.

Now, there are some variations to this routine, depending if it was a pay week or non-pay week. The main reason why I, and my co-workers, could have this variation, is that we were given a classification that allowed us to visit our main building when needed to do our job.

For example, during the pay week, I would go the office on Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, to collect/print timesheets. Considering the fact that I deal with the equivalent of one and a third reams of paper (that's roughly 700 pages) per pay period, you can understand why i would go to the office and print all of this out.

On a non-pay week, I would go into the office on either Monday or Tuesday to do my usual grunt clerical work: filing, printing, scanning, etc. This would take up to about two hours of my day or so. On the way home, I would hit my credit union, since the only the main branch has a drive thru, or my local bank, which again, only has the drive thru open with limited hours.

Then once at home, we wash, rinse, repeat, before checking out promptly at 4:30p.

And that,. my friends, is my now typical work day. Exciting? I think not. Actually, I stand corrected. The only exciting part is making sure that I completely squash the snarkiness that bubbles to the surface during my off hours.

How's your typical work day now? The same, or have you drastically modified it?

{c} 2020 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, my day is mostly the same as I still have to go to work. The only big change is the gym is closed. I have to rely on long walks only except on the weekends. (When I can jog, since I have access to a shower.)
    With all that printing, I don't blame you for using the work printer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very selective in what I print at home, if only because toner is so expensive for my Epson printer (about $65 for a quad pack). Hardcore printing is done at work, while dainty printing is done at home.

      Walking is my only release valve these days, not so much for exercise than more for keeping my legs functioning.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.