Wednesday, July 3, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode IWSG the 6th

IWSG
Boy howdy and how you all doing these days, and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, who likes to talk the talk, walk the walk and ruin the rune

As ya'll know what day it is, and it certainly ain't Joe Camel day, we'll dispense with the usual intro and move on to the very post in question. Or the nub of my gist.

The topic of conversation today is: procrastination.

Yes, that bane of every writer's existence and the cause of everyone's collective brain cramp.

One case in point is this blog post. I procrastinated in writing this blog post so badly that I literally started writing this thing around 8:15 last night (EST/EDT, I can't keep track any more). Nothing like the fear of being invited to leave to get yourself off your buttocks and get the job done.

Another case in point is getting back to the item that you shelled out serious wampum for someone to edit the living daylights out of, and of which still needs serious work on to make it extraordinarily presentable to the masses.

I got my wonderful little novel back (complete with a solid 10 page chapter summary, a very solid 38 page editorial overview, the edited copy and the super clean final copy) in very early June. Now, I actually didn't look at it for about two weeks, since I had an extreme amount of family stuff (not drama) going on in those two weeks that prevented me from giving it my fully undivided attention. But I did read the editorial overview, just to give myself a basic understanding of what I was looking at.

Then, nothing.

I didn't look at it, didn't think about, didn't even crack open the edited copy on my computer. Why? I don't rightly know. Maybe it was because I had to face the reality of having to major add-ons/clarifications for each and every chapter. I've done this before with the previous book, but that took me about one hour total to work all the suggestions in. This, was something that was (and to a certain degree) way out of my league.

Finally, during the last weekend of June, I made the decision that come the July 4th holiday weekend, I would return to my novel, crack open the edited version, whip out that chapter summary and get to work on making it something truly unique yet a 100% perfect bridge novel for this trilogy.

Procrastination. It's a horrible thing to have and an even more horrible thing to go through. But sometimes, you just gotta give yourself a good swift kick in the ass to get you moving.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. I am very familiar with procrastination.
    Tomorrow you dive back into it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan on doing that this weekend. Family is going camping, so I'll have plenty o' time to make a dent in things.

      Delete
  2. You had me at ruin the rune. Hahahahaha. I've found that I do my best work under pressure so I've learned to get along with my evil twin, procrastination. :) Good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I've leaved with certain things related to writing (i.e. writing a blurb) I'll meet that self-imposed deadline. However, with something like this, it'ls a bit tougher to meet any kind of self-imposed deadline. But I'm still willing to give it a try.

      Delete
  3. Some of do better under pressure, so procrastination can be beneficial. ☺ Here's hoping you accomplish everything you set out to do, GB. Happy 4th of July long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll be giving it my best shot this weekend.

      Delete
  4. Early is on time. I'm usually psychotically ahead of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm normally nutty about punctuality as well, especially growing up in a family in which half prided itself on being extremely late to things.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.