Sunday, July 7, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 31st

Girl howdy and howdy to the Yello bear who might be surfin' in the lobby of a nondescript office building and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, where crippling thoughts of self-flagellation battle with the free-wheelin' thoughts of "yes I can" to a serious stalemate.

In the first six months of this year, I gained quite a few Amazon gift cards (along with one Visa and one Wendy's) for b'day presents. Father day's presents and wedding anniversary presents. This is directly due to me being a very difficult person to shop for.

So as I'm want to do lately, I start surfing my smart phone, college radio and the news for artists to do that initial dip into their back catalog for. My criteria is exceptionally simple: One song from the artist has to pique my curiosity just enough to take a deeper look at their catalog.

So this is what I did for the 1st Amazon on my hit parade. I remembered three songs that piqued my curiosity, one of which was basically the one and only hit for the band. In no particular order of importance, they are as follows:

1} EMF-Schubert's Dip: I basically bought this c.d. as a replacement for the cassette that I bought some 20 years ago. That one hit was "Unbelievable",which got monster airplay back in the early 90's. it has a semi-earworm quality that usually isn't irritating when you do listen to it.

2} Sturgill Simpson-A Sailor's Guide To Earth. I actually discovered this artist via a college morning radio show on WWUH 91.3 (CT). They played a rather dark version of Nirvana's "In Bloom", and since I'm always a fan of darker/slower versions of popular rock songs, this c.d. became the next on my purchase list. Here is his version of In Bloom.

3} Alabama 3-Exile on Coldharbour Lane. I actually got this one via the news. I had read a story about the founder and lead signer Jake Black passing away at the age of 54 (?). Also read in the same article that their song "Woke Up This Morning" was used as the theme song for The Sopranos, which became a minor hit for them. Wasn't familiar with them until I watched a few YouTube videos, which in turn piqued my curiosity.

Next on my agenda for the 2nd card is to purchase two movies: Drive Angry and Byzantium. But the 3rd one is where I'll be needing help.

I want to purchase three more c.d.'s, so I'm looking for song suggestions from some artists that you like. Only caveat is that they can't be from a current release. Has to be something older so that if it does piques my curiosity, I'll have fun going though their back catalog.

Have a spiffy week my friends!

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. Children of Bodem's Trashed, Lost, and Strung Out.
    In Flames' Ordinary Story.
    Katatonia's My Twin.
    Enjoy some Scandinavian love! The first one may scare you, but the last two are a little more accessible.
    People can give me all the iTunes gift cards they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will check those out.

      I always ask for Amazon since no one knows what to buy me anymore. I used to get B&N but they don't really carry anything that piques my curiosity.

      Delete
  2. I like Drive by R.E.M, in fact any R.E.M from the 80's and 90's. :) Good luck on your search for gifts for that 3rd gift card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I quite like R.E.M. and actually bought one of their c.d.s for the song "What's The Frequency Kenneth?", and the rest of the c.d. was pretty decent.

      Delete
  3. Alex is really into the heavy metal, I see! 🤘😎 If you like that, you might enjoy a Greek metal band called Devil's Train. Alice Cooper's last album, Paranormal is excellent. If blues/rock is more your thing, Eric Burdon's last album, <a href="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=til+your+river+runs+dry%2C+eric+burdon+album:>Til Your River Runs Dry</a> really blew my mind. 🎵🎧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some interesting suggestions there that I will most definitely check out. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. i do believe I have either one or two REM c.d.s. The one that I know I definitely have contains the song "What's The Frequency Kenneth", which is one of the few good samples of a band taking a pop culture phrase and turning it into a very good song (Boomtown Rats did it with "I Don't Like Mondays").

      Delete
  5. Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session
    Songs of Water - The Sea Has Spoken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips. i'll have to try Cowboy Junkies again, since I wasn't impressed with them the first go around with a used c.d. I have of them. Sometimes, you just to give a artist a second change to make a good impression.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.