Sunday, July 28, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 34th

Boy howdy and howdy to the nerdy girl who can kick my butt with little to no exertion and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, where nothing is as it seems, and what it seems is highly unlikely to actually fit in the rectangular hole.

My week has improved from last week to the point of feeling like I'm looking at my reflection in the window of my mind and wondering just exactly what the H-E-double toothpicks am I dong here.

To whit:

It was officially confirmed, after hearing it from multiple reliable sources, that my particular department will not be moving next spring.  Instead, our department (Payroll), will be realigned with Fiscal. Thus, instead of contemplating an early retirement and looking for a job in the real world at the age of a double nickel, we will now be contemplating whether or not our digs will move from one floor to another.

Also, the headache that I mentioned last week about picking up another payroll is only a temporary thing, since we are interviewing next week for another payroll clerk, to replace a good one who went back into the private sector to work at a company that specializes in backroom functions for multimedia companies.

Thus, the stress for work has been largely tampered down.

Things with the family are slowing coming around. Daughter will be moving in late August to college, and I will have to confirm the wedding rehearsal sometime next week. Additionally, I got "invited" (read: told I really need to be there or else) to a Jack & Jill thingy next month. Yay me, for I get to meet all kinds of people that I will probably never meet again (much) after the wedding in September. The only blemish this month was the passing of this little guy:

He lived a very long 18(?) years and he had a very good summer to enjoy before he left us. On his very last night he was surrounded by family and gradually drifted off to that big old backyard in the sky so as to play with the previous members of the household: Carbon (poodle); Cinders (shelter dog part boxer, shepherd and beagle) and Bubbles (ferret).

In regards to writing, I haven't yet. Still have way too much stress to touch my book, but I've begun to take some baby steps, in that I've started to re-familiarize with the 45% of book #3 that I've already written. That way, when the time comes (and it will) I'll have a basic grasp of what I need to do.

The main reason why I have so much work to do on book #2 is this: I wrote everything ass-backwards.

Normally, the iron-clad rule of thumb when writing a series (of any kind) is that you write it in proper chronological order. Ya know, book #1 (the beginning), book #2 (the middle) and book #3 (the end). You do not, repeat, do not write book #3 (ending) twice, followed by book #2 (the middle), then book #1 (the beginning).

What you accomplish is this: instead of trying to make book #2 bridge everything from book #1 into book #3, you have a bad bridge to book #3 while making book #1 look like it was written to fit book #2, instead of vice versa, with book #2 written to fit book #1 while bridging/transitioning to book #3.

This, my friends, is the monumental mountain that I need to climb and conquer so that I can continue on with my writing life. I actually do have a self-imposed deadline to start this thing, so come hell or high-water, I will get this thing completed by next year.

I tell ya, it ain't easy being a writer these days, especially when you're trying to work around the other aspects of your life in order to accomplish something.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your beautiful pup. 18 years is a blessing. My pup is 12. I pray for at least 18 yrs. with her. - Yay for lessening stress at work and good luck hitting your self-imposed deadline! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's funny how my daughter spent her entire live with that dog (she's 18+), so she ultimately spent time with him at the end and helped him on his way.

      Delete
  2. This is why I'm petless. I can't stadn the heartbreak. We've lost too many over the last 42 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each their own. I can understand why someone would choose not to have an animal for companionship. I think the only one that I got super emotional over was our first dog, Carbon, since he was there for most of my childhood. I'll probably will get super emotional if/when my cat Holly passes away though.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.