Wednesday, March 6, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode The ISWG 2nd

IWSG
Girl howdy and howdy to one and all, and welcome to the seriously so-far-left-of-center-that-it's-considered-to-be-right literary world of G.B. Miller, who considers himself to be the funniest person in a room of one.

Today is the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's time for the IWSG blog hop. This particular day is set aside for insecure writers across the blog-o-sphere to share all of our individual experiences, the gud, the baaaaaad and the plug ugly.

Since this post is geared towards some type of writing insecurity/tangent, and that I had already bloviated this past Sunday (3/3) about the writing crutch called "cliches", it seems that I must use the alternative question for this months post.

"Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero {protagonist} or the villain {antagonist}? And why?"

I think that I'd originally started writing from the viewpoint of the hero, but it slowly morphed into writing from both points of view in a given story. Up until very recently, it was usually two people that I would bring into the mix for a given story, one the hero and one the villain, and I would alternate both viewpoints in the story. More often than not, they would lean towards the hero when all was said and done.

For my current trilogy, the perspective has done a complete 360, in that my original hero, by book #3, has morphed into the villain. In book #1, she started as the hero, so the perspective was written completely through her. In book #2, the perspective still stayed her as the hero, up until the last two pages of the book. 

For book #3, the perspective is now being shifted for the first half of the book, as my hero has now turned into the villain. For the second half, I haven't quite settled on what the perspective will be. I still believe that my hero-turned-villain will stay that way, but I'm also toying with the idea of making my villain a sympathetic figure.

So as you can see, while the question should be a no-brainer to answer, for me it seems like my writing perspective has evolved to something that is mixture of both hero and villain within the same main character.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. You turned your hero into a villain? Interesting! I'm sure it will word out better for you than it did for Lucas in the first three Star Wars episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheer nature of the plot (cheating on a spouse) just about screamed for something like this. I'm hoping it does too, especially since the rest of the plot tangents will come to a head at the very end.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Fantastic way to do something different. I haven't read anything like this before, the hero turning into the villain, and staying that way. Definitely going to be interesting to see how it turns out. This question this month is in my opinion the best yet. I've read so many different, and interesting answers to it. The general consensus seems to be that there really is no true hero vs villain. We all have a little of both in us, and therefor in our stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by.

      Like I said, the plot (cheating on a spouse) just about forces me to take that particular fork in the road. I do see her turning into a sympathetic figure though, but I think it's going to be a hard slog to get there.

      Delete
  3. I can't help it, I love villains. I love your kitty, too, so I can't be all bad.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by.

      Yes, Holly does have that kind of effect on people.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I've never turned one of my heroes into a villain (but I have shown the dark colors of those thought to be good guys earlier in the series!). I've made villains into heroes but never the other way around. Reverse redemption . . . Hmmmm. Pondering . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by.

      Some of my heroes have had their dark moments/rough interior shine through from tine to time, but this is a first for me. The premise just about calls for something slightly twisted, and I think this will qualify as such.

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty awesome literary technique, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee, and welcome back to the crazy world that is Blogger.

      The basic premise of the book really left me with no other alternative but to write it that way.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.