Sunday, March 24, 2019

I Have Stores To Tell! Episode the 17th

Girl howdy and howdy to the boy who enjoys being a manly-man in public, a manly-man in private and a girly-man in music videos, and welcome to the irregular triangle literary world that is G.B. Miller, who takes no guff (archaic phrase), no lip (another archaic phrase) and will never offer you a tissue for your issue (chat room insult).

Before we get into the topic of today, we must first present the picture of the week.

Spring will soon be springing, so don't forget to stock up on those hot-dogs and buns for those warmer days that you to do some out door grilling. Thems good eats fer shure.

The topic for today's post is blurbs.

And you know how I just simply love writing blurbs. They're in my top three list of writing related projects that I do not like to do, right behind the dreaded synopsis and query letter.

As a point of reference, it took me 13 attempts before I succeeded in writing a blurb for the first book in my trilogy, The Friendship Has Begun. Most of the failure was due to 1} starting at the wrong reference point, 2} starting at the right reference point and 3} procrastination.

For book #2, The Friendship Has Continued, I decided to be very proactive. This was primarily due to the fact that the option that I had chosen with the freelance editor that I had hired, was a 9 week turnaround. This meant, among other things, that I would be a bit more involved with editing process with this book than I was with the previous book.

So with roughly a three week window of down time to play with, I got right to work on writing the blurb. On the plus side, because this was the middle book of the trilogy, I had the benefit of referring to the 1st book. On the minus side, because this was the middle book of a trilogy, I had the unenviable task of working in a smidgen of the 1st book into this blurb.

After the 2nd attempt, I posted a snippet on my FB page in order to 1} show people what kind of progress I was making and 2} get some advice on how to make it better. Got quite a few likes on the former and some excellent advice on the latter.

So off I went again with advice in hand. One day and two attempts later, I had my blurb. All 264 words. Granted, it does seem to be a bit long, so I do plan on doing a little judicious editing, but basically, this is it.

As Nikia prepared for her wedding, little did she know the exchange of the two sacred words would change the lives of her and her betrothed in ways they could never imagine. After her surrealistic return from an alternative world, how many of the friends she had made there would infiltrate her new life? 
Pushing that slice of paranoia to a seldom used corner of her mind, Nikia turned her attention back to helping her sisters get ready. She cajoled surly attitudes, massaged bruised egos and pumped up dual self esteems to a high glossy finish. Only when her sisters had gotten to the point of equaling her in lusciousness did she feel confident enough to step outside and present her total self to the family and friends that had gathered to witness what they long thought inconceivable.
The Friendship Has Continued continues the journey that Nikia Robinson had taken up, by focusing on her unforgettable wedding to Raymond Hugo as well as her equally memorable honeymoon. Does her new found strength and attitude help her carry the day? Or does she slip back into who she was prior to? Even worse, do her newly made friends from a few weeks ago show up to infiltrate and potentially ruin the happiness that she and her sisters had finally found for themselves?
From the raucous wedding celebration in rural Connecticut to the utter weirdness of Southern Virginia, The Friendship Has Continued will put you front and center on a surrealistic journey that will continue to push it to the very core of your emotional and spiritual well-being.

Let me know what you think.

Tune in next week, when we'll go off on a related tangent that just might turn into another short series of what makes G.B. function as a writer.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I go back and forth with my publisher on the back cover synopsis many, many times.
    Is this for the back cover? It is a bit long. I think the first two paragraphs could be shortened and combined. It flows great after that.
    If it's for something else, let me know. My publisher gives me 125 words for the back cover, so short-short-short is all I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's for the back cover. I will take look at it and give your advice very strong consideration in implementing. I did give myself a cap of 250 words, as the one I wrote for the first book clocked in at.

      But i do agree that shorter can be better. I did shorten all of them for when I created mini business cards, as I had a cap of about 70-75 words to work with.

      Delete
  2. Well it has me very curious and wanting to read about this alien (I think?) bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No alien. Hybrid (half human/half animal) and her sisters are symbionts, so it's already traveling on a skewered trajectory :D

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.