Sunday, January 20, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 8th

Girl howdy and howdy to the boy who is so comfortable in his masculinity that he has no problem in showing off his devotion to his lady love by wearing a customized dog collar and leash in public, and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, where nothing of note happens in his world without his direct involvement...whether it hurts him or not.

Since we're about to get gobsmacked with a vortex of weather cold enough to shrivel your hair follicles to nothingness, I thought for this blog's weekly picture, we show a house covered with some soft fluffy white stuff.


It has been a crazy week in G.B. Miller's world and he has no idea on where to start, but like a certain well known comedian would say, let us begin at the beginning.

Work has been normally nutty at best and since I've talked about ad nauseum about work (I's a state guv'ment employee who DOESN'T deal with the general public on any kind of basis, seldom or otherwise), we'll kick it back over to the writing mode. But first, a blast from the past.

I've always abhorred censorship in all of its ugly forms (including when I'm forced to do it either on my blog or on FaceSlapBook) but I especially abhor it on radio. While I do understand the need to scrub/muddle F-bombs (which is why that kind of stuff is limited to college radio on the overnight or Internet radio) from songs, which can sometimes ruin the climax in a song {see RATM "Killing In The Name Of"}, I absolutely detest it when they, meaning commercial radio, scrubs non-swear words from popular songs.

A classic diatribe about radio censorship from ye olden blog Cedar's Mountain, dated January 4, 2013, for you to peruse and enjoy.

 And now, the noun-verb-adverb-adjective-other-types-of-grammar update portion of our post.

Like I stated earlier, this week has been certifiably nutty, so the mundaneness that is editing has been the oasis that helps me keep my sanity. Well that, and listening to music that normally helps me fall asleep too.

I'm wired differently when it comes to music and writing. To create, I need silence/P&Q in order to get things done. I discovered early on that if I listen to music or anything else while writing, I wind up concentrating more on the music that I do the writing. Editing is a entirely different animal. I can listen to almost anything while editing, including sports, but I find that if I really want to concentrate on what I'm editing, I'll listen to somewhat non-intrusive music for background noise.

I say "non-intrusive" since I will often tune out what I'm listening to when I'm doing other things. Bad if you're listening to a genre you really like (i.e. heavy metal, country or americana), but good if you're listening to a genre that you like but only can take it in small doses, so if you tune out and come back, you haven't missed much.

Back in the summer of my discontent {aka 2018} I discovered a fascinating Internet radio conglomo called SomaFM. Currently, SomaFM (which is 100% listener supported and which I will probably donate to once I get my finances under control) carries 30 different musical genres that cater to almost every taste under the sun.

I personally have the following, some of which I tap into to help me edit: FolkForward {folk}; BootLiquor {their version of Americana}; ThistleRadio {Celtic}; Lush {mellow/sensual electronica w/vocals}; BAGel Radio {non-commercial alternative/indie}; and a new one that I just added called Metal Detector {heavy metal}. The 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th listed is what I'll use as white nose while editing. Low volume plus not knowing any of the artist equals a good time to be had by all. I also listen to bluegrass and eclectic music from Radio Paradise as well.

This my friends, helps me stay in the proper frame of mind for book I'm currently editing. Nothing worse than listening to something that does't work with what you got. So far, it's been working extremely well for me.

As always, you can follow me on Facebook and check out my various writings by clicking on the book covers or Books by G.B. Miller.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Music is important to the creative process for so many of us. It's also therapeutic and a great way to reminisce. In my case, metal has the best stress-relieving properties, when blasted at full volume. Similar to scream therapy! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will agree with you about metal relieving stress. Many is the time when after a particular trying day at work, I'll plug in my phone and listen to heavy metal on the commute home.

    And will will agree with you about the creative process as well. I have started (and completed) quite a few stories simply from listening to a few certain groups and/or songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you'd given up blogging! I can't do anything whilst I'm listening to music, it's all consuming to me.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, just moved over the vast (and ultimately useless) wilderness that was Tumblr for a couple of years. Biggest mistake that I'd ever made.

      Usually I can't listen to music while I'm writing as it's more of a concentration issue and almost all consuming. However, I have found it to be worthwhile for editing, since intense concentration isn't needed. Also helps to be listening to genres that I know absolutely nothing about.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.