Monday, May 13, 2024

Episode #222: Let's Talk About Gently Used Books

His name could be George, and one could hold him and squeeze him and love him and pet him. Or...his name could be Anonymous as he was just strolling through a nearby front yard on a sunny afternoon before returning to the mountain.

I often go off on strange tangents about the gently used c.d.'s that I've purchase at my local library, who do year round fundraisers via the Friends Of The Library, but it's very seldom that I go off on a strange tangent about gently used books.

My local library will often put two types of books on sale {roughly 98% off the hardcover price}: donations and culled.

The first type are self explanatory, in that because they get donations throughout the year, they have created a lovely used bookstore within the library that carries all types of books, from fiction to non-fiction and all types of YA, MG and Elementary. The price range for those books are often between $2 and $3 per hardcover and softcover.

The other type, "culled", are books that have been removed from circulation, and instead of being recycled {yes, some libraries actually do this} or offered to third-party e-tailers/vendors, they will often add them to their small used bookstore to sell them to the general public with the aforementioned price range.

I have restarted buying books in general about a year ago, and I have been very selective on what I like to acquire new, which is strictly due to budgetary concerns. Obviously, these concerns are thrown out the window when it comes to used books, due to the massive price point differential. 

Because I have such eclectic tastes when it comes to reading material {always lean towards non-fiction}, I've been able to indulge those particular tastes with a few used book purchases. These four titles are equally split between gently used donations and culled from circulation. I have read three of the four, but I will offer a short opinion behind my reasoning in choosing them.

1} Come On Shore And We Will Kill You And Eat You All by Christina Thompson: I am a history buff. I love reading all of the various sub-genres under the History classification {900-999 in ye old Dewey Decimal System}. This book is part memoir and part history about the country of New Zealand. Highly fascinating and very nuanced read about the history/people of New Zealand.

2} Of All The Gin Joints by Mark Bailey and Edward Hemingway: This book gives a fascinating peek of Hollywood via the various well known saloons that the famous and infamous of the movie era visited from 1895 through 1979. Lots of salacious stories of the saloons, the people and a few drink recipes to boot.

3} The Oregon Trail-A New American Journey by Rinker Buck: This book is part history {The Oregon Trail} and part adventure, as the author and his brother traveled the entire Oregon Trail {Missouri to Oregon} via a covered wagon and a mule team during the summer of 2015. Highly enjoyable read about the history of the Oregon Trail and the history of westward expansion. I put this book on the same level as "The Blue Highways" travelogue.

4} American Mirror-The Life and Art of Norman Rockwell by Dorothy Solomon: I've always liked memoirs and biographies, and I must admit, I was always curious about Norman Rockwell. Just started reading this book, but this looks like it's going to be an interesting read, if only because of the participation/cooperation of the Norman Rockwell Family and Museum {I've read bios that did not have the participation of the subjects being written about, and I always felt it was wrong to write a bio w/o the subject's participation}.

The total cost of all four of these books was $8 {no tax}, and the monies spent went to a very good cause. Lately I have found that this has been the easiest way for me to support my library, if only because I haven't checked out any books since the very beginning of the pandemic. My reading habits have drastically changed, in that it now takes me longer to read a book than the length of time I'm allowed to have a library book {I believe the current loan period for our library is three weeks}. I really do not want to check a book out, only to return it half completed, as that feels off. So spending my limited discretionary funds judiciously seems to be the best way to get my reading fix in.

Tune in next week, when I'll do a short review of the books I had recently bought on Amazon, and those choices are just as eclectic as the used books mentioned above.


{c} 2024 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. That's an eclectic list alright! But very reasonably priced to read all four!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give the library credit, they've been very consistent with their pricing, whether it's books, music or dvds. Reminds of the used book stores that populated my state back in the day.

      Delete
  2. I often find Sci-fi tomes at Library sales. They are super cheap, usually a dollar for paperbacks. I got some Tad Williams, Dragons of Perth, and plenty of others. The last sale, I saw nothing I wanted to read. I still have a backlog of Stuff here if I find time for it.
    I'll likely read a few on my upcoming vaca week with my daughters visit at a timeshare out of state.
    I also get dvds from the library which have 2 weeks max time. Had to return season 3 of Fringe today. Will have to order season 4 from wherever they can find it after that week away.
    Ev Johns /SnaggleTooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had planned out my walk the Saturday of the book sale to check out what they had, but I ended up arriving 15 minutes after closing.

      I don't find sci-fi to be of much interest to me these days, but I do enjoy quite of bit of the other popular genres. Even managed to pick up a used copy of "Reservoir Dogs" for a couple of dollars as well.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.