Monday, November 27, 2023

Episode #199: Please Wait, Your Call Is Very (Non)Important To Us

For those of you who may not have seen a pic of my daughter in quite some time, this is her, a soon-to-be Summer 2024 University graduate with an undergraduate degree in neuro-science. Very, very proud of her and her accomplishments in the medical field.

With the parental bragging now out of the way, on to the topic at hand: waiting.

I know this doesn't sound like much of a topic to expound and expand on, but have you ever had a week that was basically spent just....waiting. Waiting for someone to get back to you. Waiting for inspiration. Waiting for a train. Waiting for Calgon to take you away. You know, waiting is the hardest part of life.

I had such a week like that. Just spent it...waiting. Normally I'm not a very patient man (having grown up in a household that does not value punctuality has made me become OCD when it comes to time as an adult), but I have mellowed out over the years. Nowadays, I simply try to play the long game with my patience. If I need something really bad, and it's from a person/business that normally is very good about getting it done in a timely manner, I'll be an adult and wait. It's not like I actually have somewhere to be. I'm retired, where am I gonna go?

So, we spent a week being a redundant clock-watcher: sleep, eat, walk, write, walk, eat, write, run errands, computer, sleep. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. I mean, not even doing a deep rabbit hole dive down YouTube was enough to keep me occupied (and if you know what kind of legitimately odd YT content that I sometimes watch, that statement would make you say, "d@mn!") during the week. Nor changing up how I answer the phone was doing it for me.

Note: I now answer the phone like Sherman from Mr. Peabody's Improbable History and tell the people on the other end I'm a tween. If I can get them to stay longer, I'll ask them innocent questions about what they're trying to sell.

I don't believe I've had a week like this before, where the excitement of doing a digital crossword puzzle is an actual highlight of the week. Actually, I should correct myself, as it's a co-highlight. The other co-highlight is mentally working out the 3rd ending to the 3rd volume of my Hot Mess series (no, not a trilogy anymore), which truth be told, ain't easy. 

So, as they say, patience is a virtue that no one seems to have anymore, in any kind of quantity. A droll dry week is just....meh. I should add that Thanksgiving wasn't the misadventure that it usually turns out to be. I got to meet a few relatives that I haven't seen since 2018/19; got a depressing update on another; had a pleasant drive to the gold coast to have that Thanksgiving ("gold coast' here in CT is lower Fairfield County, where a large percentage of those who work in NYC enjoy living and spending their hard earned money); and pleasant return trip, in which I started in sunshine and arrived home at night.

But yeah, waiting in the real world is not like Heinz Catsup. It's more like molasses on a cold autumn day. Just. Slooooow. Hope your Monday doesn't continue a previous mediocre week.


{c} 2023 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Hope the waiting doesn't have anything to do with our government or you'll be dead by the time you get your answer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately no. it's an issue in the real world that I'm dealing with. Nothing bad, but having patience has always been a thing with me.

      Plus, being a retired govt employee, I know how the other side works....

      Delete
  2. I know that waiting BS all too well...
    Everytime I text my daughter it is a coin toss if she will ever acknowledge it or not. Once in a blue moon, she answers immediately, but often I am left wondering if I can get a ride to where I need to be or not. She reads texts, and they auto delete which adds to my anxiety when she forgets. I can't plan things because she doesn't feel a need to answer.
    Not having a car and not getting answers I need in time makes my life so difficult! She often just decides she will do nothing that day. It drives me insane...
    Hope Janelle treats you better. I am certain she is now very attractive almost grad with her nose un-scrunched...
    Ev Johns/ SnaggleTooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that bites big time. Hopefully you can have that chat, albeit very gentle, with your daughter about reliability.

      As for Jenelle, she does. And we're at the point where if I would like her to do something with me/for me, I work around her busy schedule. As for texting, I text at night during the weekends to see what her status is (home late or overnight at a friends).

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.