Sunday, October 18, 2020

Episode #56: This Is The 2nd Part Of The 1st Impression


Ya know, old blogging habits can die a really hard and painfully gruesome

No, really. Honest and for true. Roughly a week and a half ago, I wrote in that particular post that there would be a part 2. I actually had something planned out for that next post, like a better recap or something to that effect. Problem is, here we are a week and a half later, and my initial plan has gone to pot.

So we're par for the course. And using cliches, which is also par for the course. And reusing massively old pictures, which again is also par for the course.

Sigh.

The main reason, I think, is that for the past few weeks I've been calmly preparing for November 2nd, which will be the first day in 24 1/2 years where I don't have to be somewhere by 8a. So I've been cleaning out all of the crap that needs to be filed, scanned, boxed, moved and regurgitated. Which means that I've been spending on average about 3 1/2 hours per day at the office getting all of my work done. And believe or not, I'll be doing my very last payroll this week, since my last day coincides with the very last working pay day I will be participating in.

In addition to the cleaning/purging of my office (yes, believe it or not I still have some stuff to take home from my almost bare bones cubicle), I've also been doing a little "goodbye" related writing. Like, writing a good-bye e-mail that will go up around lunch time on October 30th, as I will probably spending the entire day there cleaning up and not really paying attention to my e-mail. Not sure how long my work e-mail will remain active, but it'll be there just the same.

I'm also writing some thank you notes for all of my payroll co-workers. I bought the cards last weekend and I plan on dropping some serious coin on D&D gift cards for everyone.

So sometimes, the best laid plans can go askew. Hopefully, once the reality of retirement really sinks in and becomes my new normal, I'll try to find a way to get back into the swing of blogging again. And yes, the picture up above perfectly represents how I've already checked out at work.

{c} 2020 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Two weeks and then you can see where your time and priorities fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much.

      I already got a basic outline for handling the walking aspects of my day (kind of a no-brainer if you think about it), so it's just a matter of time outlining how I want to deal with rest of my day.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were retiring! Congrats and happy trails. Blogging is a hard gig to keep up for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of kept it on the QT, so to speak. With Covid in full swing, it was relatively easy enough for almost no one at work to know, and I didn't want to tip my hand on FB to early (our state does electronic snooping, for better or worse).

      I finally decided that after 24 1/2 years, I needed to do something else.

      And I agree that blogging is definitely getting harder to do these days, but I'm gonna give it another crack.

      Delete
  3. Geez I didn't realise you were still blogging! My bad, and now you are retiring?

    Blogging is a struggle especially as my younger daughter found my blog and read stuff I wish she hadn't. Now I'm having to make my blog so user friendly it's actually boring me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, believe it or not, I'm still blogging, and doing an early retirement. 24 1/2 years for one employer is enough and I would rather try something different for a change.

      I agree that blogging has been a struggle these days for me (hence the summer hiatus) but I'm hoping to recharge my batteries and gain a clearer prospective on things in the coming months.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.