Wednesday, December 4, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 11th: IWSG

IWSG
Welcome to that time of the month, where the entire writing community, such as it is, comes together to commiserate in a raucous gabfest called the IWSG blog hop.

This particular post for me, kicks of an upcoming month of work-related nonsense that will a} culminate in a brand new roll-out of a seriously expensive payroll system in mid January 2020, and b} require a major reassessment of how I use my limited down time.

With that being said, let's get on with the post, which for a change of pace, will actually use an original writing related prompt instead of the killer optional questions presented in the monthly newsletter.

Some time in early November, I finally got my act together with my writing and began work on one of my partial slushies. I dutifully applied the editing notes and carefully made the point of view jive with the main narrative thrust of the story. Once I got that done, I actually got some original writing down.

Score!

One of the tangible results of jump-starting my writing is that now I'm giving serious thought on where I need to go with this story. I know exactly how I want to end it (this has been the one constant for the past 5 1/2 years with this story), so what I need to do in order to get there from here is starting to be the constant reminder/tickler when I write.

For those of you who haven't probably figured it out, 98% of the time, I'm a pantser when it comes to writing. I only plot stuff out 2% of the time, and that's only when I need a basic bullet point outline to get me back on track in a story. I normally print everything out when I write and stick it inside a three ring binder, and 98% of the time it works quite well as a breathable outline. But there are times when I need a little bit of help to get back on track.

I'll probably write out another bullet point outline sometime in the next month, so at the very least, I'll have a basic idea on what I have for characters (3-4 MC's and very peripherals), overall plot and where that particular plot is heading in a particular chapter.

So consider this to be a three cheers and a Tigger for me, in that I managed to find a tiny little writing groove to use as an oasis from the total chaos that is presently the real world.

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making progress, G.B.! I find it hard to plot a story thoroughly because my stories take over and I'm just the typist ~ LOL! I hope your job burden eases significantly after the payroll rollout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so too, but sometime later in the spring, our state guv'ment is doing a massive consolidation of all backroom operations in order to quote, "save money, better customer service and streamline worker usage."

      Plotting seems to be a hit and miss for me sometimes, but we have fun just the same.

      Delete
  2. It's different when you know the ending - you have to plan a way there. Get those bullets laid out and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually been the easy part as of late. Figuring how to get there and how to start is the hard part.

      Delete
  3. Ah, work crises. So glad I've left those behind. It's hard to carve out writing time when your day job is spinning like an off-kilter carnival ride. I wish you happy writing in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This year has been very topsy-turvy for me in regards to writing. Did solid writing until about mid-May, then everything came apart, so to speak, with work, family and issues with a part of a series that in hindsight I should've taken care before hiring an editor.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.