Sunday, August 18, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 36th

Been doing a lot of thinking this month, mostly about my writing. Nothing really earth shattering, but it really speaks volumes to that I'm actually now thinking about my writing, as opposed to running away from it.

But we're not going to be talking about that just yet. Instead, we're going to talk about how I'm trying to be just a shade more social on FB with my friends. Normally I'm the king of being Uncle Social on FB, but with everything that has been going on in my life since the beginning of the summer, I desperately needed to find a small sliver of quiet somewhere so that I could re-calibrate and face the world again.

Granted, doing it on FB is not necessarily the most brilliant option to choose, but it was the only sensible one available. But over the past year, I made some  adjustments to my personal FB algorithms, which in turn has made me a happy camper. So I consider this to be just a simple continuation of those adjustments.

As most of you know, I'm a payroll clerk for a guv'ment agency with the state of Connecticut. And there are times during my work day where I have small chunks of unoccupied moments to actually listen to my radio (and my smart phone as well). I also have small chunks of unoccupied moments where I'm left alone with my thoughts, which in turn allows me to latch on to the music portion of my memory banks. More often than not, I will bring up a personal ear-wormy song that will keep me occupied for the day. You know, singing some bars/lyrics to myself and the like.

And more often than note, I have problems maintaining the memory of that song long enough to get home, search YouTube and post a link on FB. Yes, I know I should write it down, but ya know, we can get easily distracted when we're putting out dumpster fires throughout the day at work.

Anyways, when I do manage to remember the song, I search out the video and post it on FB. More often than not, I get nice compliments and nifty conversations about my choices. Why? Because I'm all over the music genre landscape with my tastes. You name it, I've probably listened to something in it and probably like something in it as well.

One example is jazz.

I actually like jazz, but I'm very particular about the kind of jazz I'll listen to. I don't like the heavy brassy/bold type jazz, nor do I like scat/be-bop. I lean towards smooth, muscular and guitar oriented. The reason why I bring up this particular genre is that the other day, a particular song managed to stick in head and it happened to be in that genre. The song was the theme to the Pink Panther cartoon. Very smooth late 60's jazz and it's one my earliest exposures to the jazz genre. Additionally, if you've watched enough of them, the incidental music is also somewhat jazz oriented.

So I posted the video and got some nice comments and a nifty discussion as well. While I responding to a comment, another interesting tidbit came to light. If you were a big fan of the Pink Panther cartoons, you've probably saw episodes of The Inspector (Clouseau) and The Ant & The Aardvark. The theme and incidental music are jazz oriented as well.

So in general, I like all kinds of music and as of late, FB allows me to share/give an intimate look into what I enjoy listening to with my friends. Growing up in the 70's as well as being the beginning of the MTV generation will set the groundwork for the skewered musical outlook, while adulting will give you exposure to other kinds of music (which is usually accomplished at first by listening to college radio, then moving on to Sirius/XM or Pandora or Spotify) that will shape and accentuate the kind of person that you are.

Have a great week everybody as I will be counting down the days to August 22nd, which is when my lovely and talented daughter Jenelle goes off to college. As Yes would say, "One down, one to go, another town and one more show."

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I used to listen to Pandora and Spotify. I used to listen to the radio but haven't done that in over fifteen years.
    Not a big jazz fan, but the Pink Panther theme song is very cool and catchy. Iconic, because the moment you hear it, you know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only listen to the AM side in my car, and a couple of FM college stations at work. Beyond that, I do my smart phone. My daughter does Pandora and I'm not sure if I'll do Spotify as they've done some things in the past year or so that make me question their corporate ideology.

      I agree it definitely is iconic, and the moment I hear it I got straight into Joe Cool mode.

      Delete
  2. Pink Panther was always a fun tune and 'toon! I only get to listen to music on radio when walking and the radio-batteries aren't dead. I get music stuck in my brain all night at work. I like Madonna, Pat Benatar, Barry Manilow, and especially Simon and Garfunkle. Facebook is a great place to share tunes lately. I drive folks at work nuts singing sometimes. I especially like the theme of "The Enterprise" tv series. I think Rod Stewart sang it, I'll go look it up sometime, but I just get stuck on it...
    I do like many of your FB music sharing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Sometimes it gets a bit tougher to blog about music since my music listening has pretty much gone down to just listening to the radio at work. Once in a while though, the memory banks come alive.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.