Monday, June 10, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 28th

Amazon
Girl howdy and howdy to the boy who freezes people in mid rant with a raised eyebrow, and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, where talk is cheap, action is expensive and everyone is celebrating the 70th anniversary of 1984.

First off, we would like to apologize for the one day lateness of today's post. I belatedly realized that if I want to apply what I usually do at work when presented with an issue that requires a down-the-road deadline (i.e. 4 days) in my blog world, I need to start writing the post in the middle of the week, as opposed to the either the day before or the day of.

Last week, we touch upon the fact that we received our manuscript back from our wonderful editor, which presented us with the brilliant idea of baring my writing soul to the blogging world {note, no sarcasm is intended or inferred}, which we promptly acted on.

So I thought for this post, I would cover what I managed to do right (the positive feedback that we all need to receive as writers) with The Friendship Continues. Within the next two weeks, we will cover what managed not to do write (critical feedback that we all need to receive in order to grow as writers).

1} To lightly paraphrase my editor, she said the following: "This is a hugely inventive world you've presented here, straddling comedy and sex in a proficient way, and demonstrating areas of solid humor. You've got some very good one-liners and I think your sense of humor leans naturally towards prose phrases and a celebration of incongruity."

Being that this was my first really solid attempt at world building, I will take this sliver of goodness and use it to stroke my ego.

2} I was complimented on my distinct lack of serious info-dumping, instead relying on small tidbits sprinkled throughout the story.

I've read stories where entire chapters were devoted to info-dumping, which really turned me off as a reader. So I vowed not to do this as a writer.

3} Sometimes, you write in a p.o.v. that you absolutely no idea that it actually existed, and simply thought you were writing in a default p.o.v. In this particular case, I wrote in the omniscient voice, apparently with full chutzpah and enthusiasm, with my previous novel and this one. And I managed to follow one of the rules quite well.

Unless the characters are psychic, do not give them psychic powers.

4} My sense of humor just shines throughout the story in all kinds weird and wonderful ways.

It has taken me years to refine my sense of humor to make it palatable for the written word. Blogging has definitely helped, as well as dealing with co-works, who are bottomless well of straight lines.

Those 4 positive points are all what has jumped out at me after reading my 36 page editorial overview twice. I'm sure there's a few more buried within, but those are in the "this-is-good-but-this-over-here-has-some-issues-that-need-some-attention", which we'll go over in not-quite-so-excruciating-detail next time. Also for next time, I will share with everyone what her ultimate conclusion of this novel as it presently stands.

Until then, have a sparkly non-chaotic week with one and all!

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Now that's some encouraging feedback. Omniscient is difficult to do right.
    I had a critique partner tell me one passage made soda come out of her nose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Oh yeah, she mentioned that quite a few snarky/deadpan tidbits made her spew her coffee out.

      Never had a clue that kind of voice actually existed. My main concern was to really reign in the head hopping enough so that I wouldn't make the reader queasy while reading it.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.