Monday, September 21, 2026

Episode #345: Breaking The Fourth Wall Like "Crazy Eddie"

Flashback to the years of yore, when the local farm in the middle of suburbia had milk cows grazing in the fields. I believe they still run a fruit and vegetable stand in the summer.

Note about the title: Crazy Eddie's was a short-lived,  loud and brash electronics store from the 1980's in the tri-state area (NY, NJ & CT), who's gimmick was that the spokesman would go on epic 20-30 second rant about electronics and shout "Shop at Crazy Eddie's, his prices are insane!" 

~~~~~~~~

I was reorganizing/condensing a couple of half inch binders into what I thought was a suitable one inch binder for a short story collection to publish in the future, when I came across one of my rewritten short stories from a few years ago.

Glancing through the pages, I noticed that I had managed to write something quite odd in the story. This wasn't the first time that I had noticed this oddity, since I had previously come across a sticky note that said I should write a blog post about it

What this sticky note was alluding to, was the oddity that I had written into the story, which was having the narrator step out of the story, thus breaking the proverbial fourth wall, and talk directly to the reader. I've seen this particular trope done in movies and t.v. shows, but never seen it done in a story before.

Anyways, it was about three sentences in length where the narrator steps out of the story to address the reader directly about a pivotal event in the story, before stepping back into the story to continue his narration.

Now this was not something that was planned ahead of time. If I recall correctly, this just happened, rather sloppily, organically the first time around, so just cleaned it up on the rewrite.

But as a favorite former blogger would often say whenever he went on a slightly irrelevant tangent, I blogress. So, back to the topic at hand.

The story in question was written mostly in the 1st person/present tense p.o.v. I say mostly, because the narration would shift to 3rd person for events that the narrator wasn't there for. Once that particular arc was completed, it slipped back into the 1st person p.o.v.

I basically did this throughout the story, with the narrator doing his thing, then he would shift over to being a peripheral part of a particular scene (if it all), then shift back to narrating. I don't think you call it 'head hopping' in the traditional sense of the phrase, as he was the only persona presenting the entire story through his point of view. So I didn't have multiple 1st person p.o.v. throughout, just his.

For my short story collections, I wrote fourteen short stories, with may two original (that is, non-rewritten) and one essay, and that was the only story that was written in this weird 1st/3rd p.o.v. hybrid. All the others were written in the normal 3rd p.o.v. that we all know and have a love/hate relationship with.

I have a couple of other previously blog published short stories that I want to rewrite. And because you just know that I love to challenge myself, I decided to rewrite these stories from the inside out. In other words, I have a beginning and I have an ending. What I need is a new larger middle that will get me from the beginning to that ending as bumpy and as raucous as humanly possible.

I'm not quite sure if I had a purpose with this blog post, as it was more of general observations on how I did something radically different with my story completely by accident, and how it workout when the dust had settled.

I guess my question to everyone would be this: did you do something with a story that went completely against the rules for storytelling, yet somehow it worked out in the end?


{c} 2026 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.