Monday, September 18, 2023

Episode #189: Once Again, The Hardest Part Of The Story Is Done

A blast from my very distant work past has come back to make an appearance. Have no idea where he is now, maybe soaking up the rays on a sunny beach somewhere on the East coast.

As the above title states, this post is something of a repeat, in that we're posting a revamped version of the blurb for my Average American Novella. Apparently, after getting some sobering advice in my writer's group, which included the realization on my part that my blurb was suggesting something completely different, we needed to do a complete overhaul.

So, with a large chunk of help from a fellow writer friend (who will get an acknowledgment credit when all is said and done), I was able to create a tag line, a short blurb, and a longer blurb for my Average American Novella. The title options are still the same: The Hidden Truth and The Lie Reveals The Truth.

Up first, the tag followed by the short blurb and finally, the long blurb:

Tag line

Revenge is a brutal game, but Dmitri is playing for keeps.

Short Blurb

Soul collecting is both a dangerous and lucrative business, and no one knows better than the netherworld’s premier soul collector, Dmitri. Creating enemies is part of the job, but when a simple favor for a friend turns out to be a set-up, Dmitri finds himself in the cross-hairs of a contract hit. Tangled in a web of sec, lies and violence, the collector must do whatever it takes to survive.

Survival is a brutal game, but Dmitri is playing for his life in this fast paced dark fantasy.

Long Blurb

Against his better judgment, the Sulfur Underground’s premier soul collector Dmitri, agrees to do a small favor for a friend. At least, it was supposed to be small: deliver a package and walk away. Instead, he finds himself on the wrong end of a contract hit.

When Kaitlyn fast talks her way into tagging along, Dmitri has no idea she’s in on the contract and the pair soon become more than accomplices. A lot more. But when Kaitlyn has a change of heart and confesses both her participation as well as her love, Dmitri doesn’t know who or what to trust.

With the odds becoming increasingly stacked against him, Dmitri must trust his heart and instincts if he wants to survive and keep reaping what the world continues to sow.

Let me know what you think in the comments. These blurbs fit better with the basic fantasy premise, while the previous blurb gave off a vibe of being a thriller novella.

{c} 2023 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. I like the short one best. Really ramps up the action in just a few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one will make it to the back of a business card promo. I've been getting a few good comments from my writer's group about this. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I like the short one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I plan on using it as a promo for a business card.

      Delete
  3. In the short blurb text I think
    "Tangled in a web of sec," sec is supposed to be sex?
    I think in the long one, giving away he is on a contract hit may be giving away too much.
    The Lie Reveals the Truth has a ring to it
    EvJohns /SnaggleTooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely would be interesting if he was drinking some sec while doing his thing, that's for sure. Thanks for pointing it out as I made a change in the original.

      I think stating that a contract is out on him is (mostly) the main underlying reason for the secondary part of the trip. Kind of like a reverse revenge mission.

      And the title you chose would definitely dovetail quite nicely into the overall theme of the story.

      Delete
  4. Sounds intriguing! I'd read it. And although you didn't ask for votes on the issue of the book title, I vote for "The Lie Reveals the Truth" as being more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards that title as well. I need to make a decision after some family related (in a good way) events take place, as I really do want to get the ball rolling on this.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.