Monday, August 28, 2023

Episode #186: A Unique Culture Always Enriches The Story {2}

Still continuing on the same theme, so it would make sense to keep the picture the same. This time, think of the glove reaching up and saying, "I've fallen and I can't quite touch that leaf dangling from the tree."

Today's post will expand upon a few sensitive topics that I decided to make an integral part of the story. I should note that this trilogy will be the first of my books that will have a trigger warning applied to it. I'm normally not a fan of either trigger warnings or censorship, but over the years, I've come to accept that the former will be necessary, but not the latter.

So, the first sensitive topic that I will talk about is lesbianism and bisexuality. Mostly the former has been woven into the story with at least four of my characters, while the latter has been woven into two of the previously mentioned four. To be fair, it was only a matter of time before it actually arrived at that point with both, since it was being greatly suggested/hinted at throughout the entire series that all four characters were either one or the other.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I cannot write those kinds of graphic scenes without going full adult movie entertainment on it, and that will simply not fly in this story. So to properly do it, I really had to go about like the movies from the 40's and 50's did (due to those nasty Hays Office rules), where certain things were strongly suggested off-camera, and write it up to that particular point, which is what I did. So I did what I do best, which was write intimately descriptive scenes up until that particular point.

Another problem that I had, was how to properly present/label those two particular concepts. Labeling was easy enough, simply because I really wanted to suggest what it was in plain enough language that people could understand it without getting offended by a particular word (and yes, people do get offended by words). So the phrase that I used, which is an actual undisputed truth, was "genetically predisposed to", which was tweaked to add in the latter topic of bisexuality.

The issue of how to properly present it was a bit trickier, as I was dealing with three different entities: Earth, the Aztecs, the Pod Planet. The Incans are not part of this list, as I haven't gotten around to getting any of the ruling elite involved. So I had to create three different scenarios to cover this hot button topic (yes, it's a hot button topic in the real world, so bringing it forward to here was a no-brainer).

With Earth, I decided for the sake of this story, to make it completely acceptable. No laws preventing any of those particular acts.

With the Aztecs, I decided to make it a little more nuanced, but fair. For example, I have the Aztecs pursing a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, in which even though they have laws on the books, they don't ask and you don't tell. The caveat though, is if someone makes a complaint, they're legally bound to investigate. However, both parties can receive the exact same punishment afterwards if the victim is found guilty, so it does discourage complaints being made (imagine the outcomes if this process was applied to the real world).

The Pod Planet is probably going to be similar to the Aztecs, in that there are laws on the books, but if a complaint is made, they will investigate. Beyond that, I haven't decided if a "don't ask, don't tell" policy will be added into the mix, nor the reciprocal punishment. I simply haven't had the need to go that deep, since none of the pertinent female characters swing that way (but I do have a man that might be in the closet, for diplomacy's sake though).

~~~~~~~

 Now, for the other sensitive topic. As I stated previously, I decided to create the monarchy strictly along matriarchal lines, in that only women can nominally rule. I say 'nominally' only in the sense that since men can't directly rule, they can indirectly rule, via the choosing of every new ruler, via The Royal Entourage. While every Queen can rule with absolute power, there are still complete entities that are off-limits as well as certain rules that must be followed.

There are a set of ironclad rules when it comes to this particular monarchy. I wrote these as such in order to turn the cliche of "behind every great man is a great woman" completely on its head, by turning it into "behind every great woman is an fragile man whose ego needs to be stroked to keep him in his place."

"The ruler should always be female, that they had to be at least a six and a half in the looks department prior to using cosmetic enhancements, and that sex is always to be weaponized whenever and wherever possible. In all forms. At all times."

So with the ironclad rule established, the Pod Queen has had to weaponize sex in all of its ugliness. Which means performing duties that she isn't especially fond of doing at all.  Such as performing a weekly risque promenade around the courtyard in clothing that would be more appropriate in a softcore magazine or a boudoir photo shoot than at a palace function. For both the courtiers, government officials and nobility, as well as for her subjects. Or, performing a monthly striptease at the afternoon government meeting. Again, part and parcel of the Queen's official duties: give a little to get a lot in order to stay in power.

The weaponizing of sex is something that I've used in varying degrees with a lot of my stories, simply because it gives my female characters another valuable weapon in their personal arsenal. Yes, I know that sounds crude, but I've been of the opinion that if you have it, use it to your advantage. Keep in mind this one salient point: in the majority of my stories, I treat men as both objects of desire and ridicule.

Next week, I will cover what kind of traits/ethnic background/personality that I've given to my characters.

{c} 2023 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Yep, easy to offend some people when getting into LBHQ and trans characters. Trigger warning good idea.
    My generation was raised to be very tolerant of it, but still I run into people who say, why did it have to go there? I have some friends of that category, who of course would consider it all socially normal.
    Weaponizing sexual behavior is something I never wrote about. I hate the idea of parading about in sexy lingerie to capture attention, to use men. I am against promoting the idea due to my women's Lib roots and my gender. I haven't had wild characters as you think of either... just not my style.
    Ev Johns/ SnaggleTooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I think that I've always seen that mentality in mostly the entertainment industry (movies, music, etc.), as well as certain parts of world history. So I decided to expand on that particular aspect into this story. While it does sound crass, it does bring a bit of historical/present day reality into the mix.

      I decided to go with the trigger warning not so much with the gay/bi aspect, but more for the violent acts involving the aforementioned sexual behavior.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.