Monday, September 12, 2022

Episode #140: Dad Is Having A Moment Of?

Okay, I actually had an entire post all written out and ready to publish, but after re-reading it numerous times, I came to the realization that I had sounded 1000% like a bitter unbalanced and extremely pompous newbie writer.

Now, while I may be bitter at times, I am not anything else previously mentioned. Because I'm not the kind of person to go off on a juvenile rant, that leaves me to fall back on what I call "shooting from the lip", in that we're gonna blog about whatever happens to pop up in my mind so that I can create a passable blog post.

So, first things first, a writing update. I'm currently in the process of transcribing chapter 26 of the story with the placeholder title of Hot Mess. For a word count, it currently stands at 92,030 words. Yeah, you read that correctly. I figure that I'm about at the halfway point of the story, and if I keep up with this current pace, that means I'll finish with about 52+ chapters totaling 189k words. Yeah, again you read that correctly. The average word count for each chapter is about 3,681. Oh and another reminder: that entire word count was originally handwritten, or rather, printed out.

Now, second things second. A little background info on the story itself. For those of you who aren't long time readers, whenever I write a story about myself, I have a tendency to portray myself a bit like Walter Mitty, in that I have feats of daring do when I'm alone, but quickly go spinless when a strong woman walks into the room. A bit submissive one might say.

And because I'm like some writers who have trouble in properly explaining what their story is about etc., I have decided to inform people of the particular points of a given story in a way I'm most comfortable with, which is writing a fiction based narrative for it.

So far, I have shown in the story that my spine is soggy linguini so to speak, and I have also shown that my muse has taken on some of the characteristics of one of the story's cast members. Like, being a bit voluptuous and having facial tattoos. This is how I'll be introducing the rest of the pertinent cast members as well as the main plot of the story. I figure I can maim lots of birds with nerf pellets as I go about the process of trying to explain my slowly growing epic low fantasy story.

To sum it up, my Hot Mess of a manuscript is literally a hot mess that is rapidly expanding to encompass all aspects of my writing life. Which at this point, has forced me to set something of a deadline to finish this story: January 2023.

I set this as as deadline, mostly because at my current age (57) I''m not quite able to concentrate of two different projects at the same time, and I would really like to get back into the swing of publishing what I already have prepped waiting for me to complete, which in this case is a partial re-write/tidying up of a previously published book.

So...yay me.

Tune in next week, where we continue with the public humiliation of a tired writer trying, without much success, to rein in his hyperactive muse.

{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that's a lot of words! It's going to be a very thick book. Facial tattoos aren't that flattering, IMO. She must be a bad-ass! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the story kind of blew up while I was doing the initial rewrite. I kept filling in the spaces so that the story was more rounded and nuanced. So that number really is a rough guesstimate because I do plan on putting in as much, if not more, time with the second half of the story.

      I will agree with you on facial tats. They are not flattering by a longshot. In this particular case, they are small crosses tattooed on the cheeks. Personally, and this view point may be colored because my daughter has a small one, I think certain neck tattoos are fine, so long as they aren't overly loud or large.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.