Monday, March 14, 2022

Episode #114: Manuscript, Musings And Music

I know everyone is just completely over with Winter, but this is from the last snowstorm we had on 3/9, when I'd decided to gut it out for my morning walk. This was the best I could get at that time.

So early this morning, I'd finished transcribing the final 6 handwritten pages for my novel with the working tongue-in-cheek title Average American Novel. What's interesting about this novel is that it took me almost 5 months to complete the first draft, which clocks in at 56,010 words with about 59.3% being handwritten.

The reason why 5 months to complete is interesting is that I forced myself to meet an artificial deadline. What deadline, you may ask?

The deadline of needing to recreate and finish moving into my den. Roughly 90% of my stuff is still outside of my den (holding court in my basement), and I'd promised myself as soon as I finished the first draft and one round of pen-editing, I would concentrate moving back into my den on April 1st. I'm about two weeks ahead of schedule, so three cheers and a Eyeore for me accomplishing that goal.

So, to elaborate just a bit on the manuscript. It actually has no title beyond the tongue-in-cheek title that I've given to it on my blog. I'm still trying to figure out the minor nuances to the story, so as to have a better idea on what I'm dealing with beyond two drug organizations vying for power with tragic outcomes for everyone involved.

Like I've previously stated about handwriting/transcribing, using pen and paper has allowed me to slow down my process and plan things out more carefully while looking at the overall picture. It has also allowed me to really concentrate on my writing, which has led to the occasional bout of being severely startled.

Now, when it comes to transcribing, I mostly march to the beat of an out of tune snare drum. I hate music when I'm doing original writing, and this novel qualifies as original, but I have no problem in listening to it while I'm transcribing/editing, as was the case for my last two projects when I'd devoured some 100+ hours of classical/medieval/RPG/compilations of most genres/YT concerts.

Such was the case here, in which I whipped out the handy dandy c.d. player (remember those?) and started playing a boatload of c.d.s, both store bought and homemade. So, to give you a taste of what I was listening to while transcribing 9 chapters to the computer (that's the 59.3% previously mentioned), here is my list of 13 c.d.s listened top, plus short comments.

1} Oasis: (What's The Story) Morning Glory? This c.d. was their most successfully commercial release yet. A few Grammy nominations and about a half dozen FM radio staples. Rock/Brit Pop;

2} The Nields: Gotta Get Over Greta. Regional Folk/rock band that is now down to a duo/trio;

3} Steve Winwood: Back In The High Life. Comeback c.d. so to speak. Brit-Pop/Rock/Semi-Easy Listening;

4} Squeeze: East Side Story: Got this for their one monster hit. Brit-Rock;

5} The Seekers: Compilations: 60's folk at its finest;

6, 7 & 8} Samantha Fish: Chills & Fever, Kill Or Be Kind, Faster. Great blues guitarist;

9 & 10} John Mellencamp: Big Daddy & American Fool. Great Midwestern R&R;

11}McGuinn, Clark & Hillman: McGuinn, Clark & Hillman. Great rock with a country-folk flair to it;

12} Stray Cats: Built For Speed. Good rockabilly.

As you can see, it's quite an eclectic mish-mash of music that I've listened to while transcribing stuff. And this isn't counting about half dozen radio stations as well. Music does make the world go 'round, and in my case, makes the sluggish 12 w.p.m. not be that sluggish.


{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Great! You can move back into your office now.
    What qualifies as medieval music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that is the goal starting April Fool's Day.

      Any music composed/played during the medieval time period, roughly 475-1450. Usually involved mostly string instruments like the lute, some rudimentary brass and choral style vocals. A bit was liturgical in nature as well, I believe.

      Delete
  2. Some great music in that line-up. I'm especially fond of Squeeze. Haven't listened to them in ages but I have many of their albums on CD and cassette.

    Great title for a novel. Catchy and rather intriguing in my view.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      As I've gotten older, my music horizons have expanded. Prior to this pandemic/endemic, I used to pick up a ton of used c.d.'s from my local library (they would do fundraisers year round), most often of artists that I've heard only one song from.

      The title for the novel is a bit catchy, if only because it's a place holder. Believe it or not, since originally writing this story 11 years ago, I've gone through about 7 title iterations, none of which have stayed attached to the story for very long.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.