Friday, January 7, 2022

Episode #105: One Year...Later?

Originally, I was going to write a post about the one year "anniversary" of the protest in DC. But after giving it some very serious thought, I decided that, unlike everyone on the left who are comparing it to being as bad as Pearl Harbor or 9/11 {among other things}, I wasn't going to give it any more attention that what it actually deserves, which is nothing.

Instead, I decided to do a semi-recap of my 2021 and possibly a goal list of what I want to do in 2022.

I did start off the year by writing a blog post that, one year later, I still stand behind, even though the fallout was personally bad. I also spent the next three months rewriting, then republishing this fine and dandy book called A Trilogy Of Love, which you can find exclusively on Amazon, with copies of print available  through me around early to mid February.

By early Summer (around mid June or so), I decide to tackle a few writing projects so that when 2022 rolled around, I would be a couple of steps ahead of the game in regards to getting a few books published. My first project would be a rewrite of a previously published book called A Taste Of Pain. Unfortunately, a broken/rotted out water pipe created such a wonderful mess in the basement, that I had to relocate upstairs.

Long story short, that particular re-write wasn't completed until early September, with the same amount of chapters and word count but with a new title.

My next writing project featured a manuscript that got remanded to the slush pile after stupidly spending $350+ on editing some 6+ years ago. By all accounts, the manuscript was indeed garbage, but some valuable tips were gleaned from it. Ultimately, the project was finished by late October/early November, with roughly the same word count and double the amount of chapters.

Which leads us to our final rewriting project.

This one I had actually started reworking back in 2014, after initially creating it circa 2011. But most things back then, I kind of gave up on it. Not sure why, but most likely probably had to do with not having the patience/inclination to overcome the many issues that the story contained.

And now seven and a half years later, we're trying a different approach. Instead of containing uber cliched trope (aka what a newbie writes), we decided to do a complete 180 and have the two main characters be sympathetic to each other, all while running a separate plot line that comes together in the very last chapter. I'm still keeping about fifty percent of the basic tenor/tone (using the current dialogue as an outline) and  roughly ninety percent of the various scenes in use. It's been really difficult for me to write as I'm trying to keep the same scenes in the new story while changing the tone of the story. Kind of like when a band does a song a particular way in the first half, then in the second changes a couple of words in the second to make it completely different {see "Figure You Out" by Nickelback and "Wonderwall" by Oasis for two good examples of this concept}.

Besides the writing, the past year has been pretty much a break even. My retirement was finally approved in May, so the reality of not being a worker drone at the age of 56 sank in pretty good. My health has stayed pretty much the status quo, with the only blip being that they still can't come up with an accurate genetic diagnosis of what kind of muscular dystrophy I have, but they're still trying. Beyond that though, we're looking forward to being a homebody with an empty nest to enjoy for 2022.

And hopefully, a more consistent blogging schedule for 2022 as well.

{c} 2022 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. That last one was definitely a major rewrite.
    In a couple years, I aim to join you in that retirement thing. Just need to make it to sixty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind doing rewrites, since what I know now supersedes what I knew then, but this current one is gonna have me pulling my hair out with tweezers..

      Good luck on hitting the magic 60 (in all honesty, I've always pictured you to be 10-15 years younger). Just wait as long as possible before collecting social security.

      Delete

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.