Sunday, October 13, 2019

I Have Stories To Tell! Episode the 42nd: Yes, I Am A Writer

Boy howdy and welcome to the skewered literary world of G.B. Miller, where everyone lives in an alternative universe bereft of the inanities of the present.

In today's post, we broach the subject of writing.

As in, am I a writer? To which I can now safely answer, "Yes I am."

It has been a very long six months or so since I'd put virtual pen to virtual paper (aka typing words on a computer screen). From April through October, other issues cropped up that sort of prevented me from writing (one child getting married, other child going to college, work related issues and finally severe editing issues that I decided to ultimately kick down the road, to name just a few) anything of note.

This particular holiday weekend (October 11th thru the 14th), I finally decided to get my writing groove back on. The story of choice is a slushie that I started writing some five-six years ago. The genre I haven't quite figured out, but the story itself is in the same vein as "American Psycho", so the genre can be assumed from that.

I'll dive more into the story itself in the coming weeks/months, but suffice to say, when I was originally writing it, the plot actually scared me. Not only did the plot scared the crap out of me (a big thank you to Australian cinema), but so did the relative ease of the words that flowed out of my head to my fingers to the computer screen. That was (and still is) the most troubling aspect of this particular story.

Anyways, I decide to get a leg up on things by first tackling the most difficult part of the story, which is changing the name of the female lead. Before I'd put the story away, I had already changed one of the male MC's name from "Toi" to "Tomas" (matches up more closely with the darkness of the story, and it was inspired by this).

The female lead will be a bit more difficult. I'd originally gave her the name of "Trey", but somehow, it really doesn't go with the overall darkness of the story. So, I need to come up with a new name, something that will be better suited for the darkness of the story.

A question for my fellow writers: how difficult is it for you to come up with a suitable name for your character, male or female, after you'd determined that the current name simply isn't working for your story?

{c} 2019 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me, because unlike others, I can handle it.